rlc532
rlc532, Technician
Experience:  12 years experience as professional automotive repair and service technician.
60580180

1997 Suzuki Sidekick: firewall..brown wire..single black wire..pulses

Customer Question

My 1997 Suzuki Sidekick has 2 wires near the firewall that I believe are supposed to be connected to something on the motor. There is a solid black and solid brown wire that are connected and a single black wire with orange or red stripes. One of the 2 sets of wires pulses, but I forgot which one. HELP!
Category: Car
Expert:  rlc532 replied 5 years ago.

rlc532 :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answers! I will assist you with your question.

rlc532 :

First I would like to ask what is the problem you are having? car not running, running rough or component not working? Is the check engine light on? I do have a wiring schematic for this vehicle but there are many wires and multiples colored the same as you describe.

rlc532 :

I will wait for your reply, Thanks!

JACUSTOMER-ec7u473z- :

The engine won't start. It tries to turn over, the starter cranks but the engine won't fire. It is getting gas. I bought it as a fixer upper, it was not running when I purchased it. I took it to a mechanic and he put it back together, but he can't seem to figure out where these particular wires go to. They come out at the firewall and I'm not sure if they go to the engine or a part that is supposed to be attached to the firewall, but is missing. I've gone to several junkyards and looked at Sidekicks, but none of them had motors and the wires have always been unattached.

JACUSTOMER-ec7u473z- :

I've the Chilton's book, but I can't figure out where these wires go.

rlc532 :

I have checked over the diagram but do not see any component with all 3 wire colors. Is the engine getting spark?

rlc532 :

I think it would be best to find out what is missing to fire the engine and work your way back. You said the engine was getting fuel, if you are sure of this remove one of the spark plug wires and install a spark tester crank the engine a see if you are getting spark. If you do not have a spark tester remove the wire install a spark plug in the end and ground the plug to engine block while cranking observe for a bright blue spark.

rlc532 :

Let me know what you find. I will check back later. Thanks