Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

tracker: after R&R ecm,relays,dist,coil will only run on 2 cyl

94 Geo tracker, after R&R ecm,relays,dist,coil will only run on 2 cyl...
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

tell me what all was done here.

tims auto repair :

and why

Customer :

okay,bought from a friend who owned for years, it died one day and he said it must be the ecm again. Sent ecm off to guy in MI and he warrantied, he said before starting replace the 4 relays. Took to Blue Ribbon Chevy, gave them the ecm and after r&r the relays would not start, so they replaced the dist, would start but only run on 2 cyl, they said needed to pull the head. I said if compression is good why, and suggested they try the other two cyl and it ran on them. So they decided it was a bad coil but that didn't work either...

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

so it does have compression on the 2 cylinders that is missing?

tims auto repair :

what 2 cylinders are missing?

Customer :

yes, on all cyl,but only run on 2 at a time, they were going to run another test, but have not heard back in two weeks, it has 170,000 miles, before i took to dealer i went over car, changed oil, chk plugs, new battery, etc. i am somewhat of a mech, fyi

Customer :

i wonder if they tried to start if with the old relays before the replacement and it hurt the ecm again.....

tims auto repair :

what is it loosingspark or injector pulse on the missing cylinders?

tims auto repair :

what 2 cylinders are missing?

tims auto repair :

if it has compression on all cylinders it is loosing either of these

Customer :

will ask the dealer, misses on all cyl...

tims auto repair :

you say it runs on 2...correct?

Customer :

they have tried to run on their diag comp and no luck, only 2 at a time,,,

Customer :

any 2 tho...

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

when it is running on 2

tims auto repair :

what is the other 2 loosing...either spark or injector pulse

tims auto repair :

?

Customer :

on hold with them now, expect they will have to perform this...gezzz, not the brightest shop i've seen!

tims auto repair :

i see

tims auto repair :

please explain....you say it will run on either 2?

Customer :

only run on 2 at a time, plug in the other 2 plug wires and it dies. They just said it DID have spark on all and since it only had one source for impluse on throttle body yes on plus...

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

but......when it dies,,,it must be loosing either spark or pulse......if not,,it would run

tims auto repair :

with all wires on..will it start?

Customer :

Im not sure if it starts on all at first or not, will call them back now, thx for your help Tim!

tims auto repair :

if it doesnt start,,,we need to know what we are loosing here..either spark or pulse

tims auto repair :

if it has compresssion on all..there is no need to remove the head

Customer :

makes sense to me, i am the one who said try it on the other 2 cyl and it ran. they just said u had to start with only 2..

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

ask them what are they loosing with all 4 wires connected

Customer :

this is why they replaced the coil thking not enough spark for all 4 plugs,, but that did not solve

tims auto repair :

will it start with all 4 wires with starting fluid?

Customer :

okay..but expect they will say nothing...

tims auto repair :

i think you need to go get it,,and take it to someone else here

tims auto repair :

lol

tims auto repair :

this 1.6 isnt that complecated

tims auto repair :

brb

tims auto repair :

i must go to load a transmission..will be back in a few minutes

tims auto repair :

find out all you can

Customer :

good idea, they will try starting fluid and call me back. i asked bout their diag comp and they said they could not find one to work on the Geo. Next dealer is in Tulsa 40 miles away...

tims auto repair :

it is a suzuki..are there any suzuki dealers around?

tims auto repair :

brb

Customer :

k, expect it will be a while and will let u know. Is it an option for you to talk to the tech directly? I keep talking to service advisor and he relays :( If their are it would be in Tulsa...

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

back

tims auto repair :

what did you find out?

tims auto repair :

did it start with starting fluid?

tims auto repair :

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

tims auto repair :

let me know what you find out here

tims auto repair :

i will be on and off line all day

Customer :

Gotcha...

tims auto repair :

ok...let me know what you get,,i will try to help...thanks for using justanswer

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have not heard back from the dealer on using the starting fluid, and left a msg, I would like to keep this dialog going until we figure it out. If the starting fluid works are u thking fuel prob then? If not is it electrical? since they changed the dist and coil what does it leave but the ecm again or one of the new relays?

if it is a fuel problem..i would think it is loosing the injector pulse,,and the problem may be the ecm.....i wouldn't know if the relays would have caused this,or if they did or didn't change them

thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay, they finally called back and it did not start with the starter fluid...and they did R&R the 4 relays they said...

ok

we are loosing spark....replace the distributer cap and the rotor again,,,i have seen these bad,new out of the box

thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay, will pass on and see what happens. how can we stay intouch so I don't have to start over with someone else? my txt is XXXXXXXXXX

i can not send or recieve personal info...you can reah me here..it will be open

thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
understand and thx for all ur help, sure hoped to wrap this up today but may be Monday given the dealers slowness and lack of concern...

i hope you get it....i would think the dealer will really lay a bill on you

thanks