sgm11155
sgm11155, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  i have worked on all models and makes of bus cars for over 25 years
48411850

How about the gas gauge

how about the gas gauge
Category: Car
Expert:  sgm11155 replied 5 years ago.

sgm11155 :

hi i am shannon i will help on this issue

sgm11155 :

to help i will need info on your problem

sgm11155 :

like year, make, model

sgm11155 :

what the gas gauge is doing

sgm11155 :

if you have worked with a different expert you can ask him a fallow on question by clicking on

sgm11155 :

(my question) at the top right.

sgm11155 :

then ask a fallow on question he should respond.

sgm11155 :

if you want me to answer please provide the requested info .thanks shannon

Expert:  sgm11155 replied 5 years ago.
please post your answer in the box below.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had asked why on a 2012 Mini Cooper should a gas gague showing that we have used 3/10ths of the tank ( which holds 13.3 gallons) be allright, per the dealer when I put in 6.5 gallons or more, this twice in these first 21 days of ownership, and the dealer says its OK a chime will sound when we get to the last gallon.
Expert:  sgm11155 replied 5 years ago.
that actually sound ok there is always a reserve in the tank that is not shown by the gauge. normally 2 gallons. this has been a standard for many years. you should be able to find the reserve capacity in the hand manual.that came with the car.it is passable to adjust the float level in the tank.by bending the float arm. but there is not tech manual that covers this .and the adjustment would be by trial and error. and i do not recommend this unless you just can,t live with the reading on the gauge. i hope this answered your question .thanks shannon
Expert:  sgm11155 replied 5 years ago.

i found a little more info but its for a 2010 but could apply to a 2012. it looks like you could have a split tank that holds fuel in two places because there are two fuel level senders. or it could just be they have two just to back each other up. this would make adjusting them very difficult.hear is the diagram i found.

graphic