Dave Hopkins
Dave Hopkins, Technician
Experience:  Fully certified in all phases of automotive repair as recognized and certified by Ford Motor Company and Hyundai Motor Company.

Mini Cooper..We have two issues which the dealership is..onboard

My wife just purchased 21 days ago a Mini Cooper brand new with 115 miles. We have two issues which the dealership is less than accomodating on. First: the onboard computer tells her she is getting 19MPG overall. She drives 2.3 miles to and from work in city Baltimore. We did a weekend jaunt of 150 miles on Sunday all interstate, staying at 65mph and the best we got was 28 mpg. This car is advertised at 35-40 highway.In the two weeks we have had it back trice and the loaners with 3,000 miles are displaying 35 mpg for her city jaunts. Dealer teller her a break in period. I haven't heard that crap since 1970. Second issue the lovely fuel display: when it is showing 3/10ths used I filled the 13 gallon tank and it took eight gallons. Dealer says there is nothing wrong, and besides there is a warning chime when she gets to the last gallon..A Blue mini should have been yellow for lemon?
Hello and welcome to JA, actually there is a "break in period" but not for the reasons of yesteryear...todays vehicles require the computer to become accustomed to your driving habits, and as such will adjust the way the engine operates and as you accumulate mileage the optimum fuel mileage will be acheived. That sounds long winded, but it is the honest and true explanation. If you purchased the car off the dealer lot with 0 miles, and drove straight from Baltimore to Cleveland, Ohio...only stopping for gas, but doing mostly highway driving, the average mpg would be very high, now drive back ands forth to work 2.3 miles all week, the mileage is very low, the engine is not even fully warmed up with such a short distance to drive, so it will take awhile for the computer to gather enough information to accurately guage the mpg, let alone optimize the fuel delivery to acheive the best possible performance. And the majority of todays vehicles usually have a warning of low fuel level with 50 miles to empty, again this is an estimate and should be used as a guildline, not the ultimate rule.