Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

Toyota tundra: chip..gas mileage..It developed a slight knock..piston

I put a GForce chip (better gas mileage and HP) on my toyota tundra 5.7L engine. It developed a slight knock. Took it to toyota and the rep said that the GForce chip caused the engine to melt a piston due the the leaning out of the fuel. Is this possible
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I have to in this case. Yes, this can and does cause the piston to melt due to the leaning out of the fuel. All these so-called "performance chips" are nothing but pure snake oil. they damage the MAF/IAT sensor, computers, O2 sensors and in some cases will melt the pistons. I have seen the results of these chips all too often. And because it is considered tampering with the emissions and engine management systems, it VOIDS any and all warranties you might have had on the vehicle.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.