Neal
Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

2010 Kia: test drove..manual trans..a ring on the shift that..reverse

I test drove a 2010 Kia Forte manual trans. yesterday. There was a ring on the shift that has to be lifted to shift up and left for reverse. Never seen anything like this and it seemed kind of flimsy. Any advice? Also, if I said steering was somewhat stiff, have you heard that before about these cars? Currently driving a 2000 Honda Civic manual and want an update. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

The reverse lockout has been used here and there over the years by different companies. I have not heard anything on the steering.

I will tell you that if you have been used to VW, Toyota, Nissan and Honda you may find that the Kia is not the same quality and you might not like it if you are used to something a little nicer. Not that there is anything wrong with them as the quality keeps getting better but they are not the same quality as those makes you are used to.