Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.

mercedes benz 320ml engine will start but wont stay running

engine will start but won't stay running after battery replacement
Category: Car
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.

eurotec :

Hi, how long does the car stay running? Does it start and immediately turn off?

Customer:

yes

eurotec :

Ok, usually this is caused by a faulty key.

eurotec :

Do you have another key?

Customer:

no but the owner said that is the key he allways uses

eurotec :

The key will typically fail on this model if the car battery dies.

eurotec :

There is a simple test to see if it is working.

eurotec :

Insert the key into the ignition and observe the small red LED to the left of the radio.

eurotec :

Turn the key on and see if the LED blinks.

eurotec :

If it doesn't blink then the key is not being recognized by the DAS control module.

Customer:

the battery did die and it has code p1570 das to ecm interup

eurotec :

That's typical of a bad key. This is a very common problem on the early ML's.

Customer:

I will ck and see if the led blinks be right back

eurotec :

ok

Customer:

the led does not blink

eurotec :

Ok, you need to tell the customer to order a new key from the dealer.

Customer:

does that key have to be programed to the car. will he have to have the car towed to the dealer or just get a key and bring it to the car

eurotec :

There is no programming required. He will only need to synchronize the remote control signal for the door locks.

Customer:

can he do that by pushing the buttons on the key?

eurotec :

1Insert remote control key into ignition switch and rotate in position 2
2Remove key and press lock button and hold pressed, while simultaneously pressing the unlock button five times.
3Release buttons and then press one of the two buttons once
Customer:

thank you vary much for your help

eurotec :

You're quite welcome. Please be sure to click Accept so I can receive credit for my help.

Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.