catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  19 years Cat, 3 years Case
11546476

Backhoe..I remove the bottom pin and sleeve from the swing frame

I have a 416B Caterpilar Backhoe. How do I remove the bottom pin and sleeve from the swing frame?

Donnie :

You can heat it without trouble, just allow it to cool slowly. I wouldn't do it outside in very cold weather though. It is cast steel , not iron and its high quality metal.

Donnie :

If you are concerned, the best method is to use a mini-torch sold by CAT. It uses magnesium rods and will cut through the center of the pin quickly without heat the frame much. This is what I use to cut out the pins. Just burn through the center and allow it to cool and the pin will knock out easily.

Customer:

The pin is approx. 4 1/2" long. Will this mini torch cut right through? If so how much of the center do I have to remove?

Donnie :

It will take several rods to burn through the pin. Raise the machine as high as the stabilizers will go and burn a 12-14 mm hole in the center. Stay a straight as possible to avoid burning through the pin and into the swing tower. Wear leathers to prevent burns.

Customer:

Ok thanks Donnie. This is helpful.