Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

land rover Discovery Series II how to disconect drive shaft

how to disconect drive shaft on 2000 land rover for towing
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 5 years ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

all you need to do here is to put the transfer case in neutral

tims auto repair :

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

tims auto repair :

2000 Land Rover Discovery II (LT) V8-4.0L
Towing Information Service and Repair, Procedures: Transport & Emergency Towing, Towing On All Wheels

Towing On All Wheels

Transmission: Automatic - Park; Manual - 4th Gear
Transfer Gearbox: Neutral, Differential lock UNLOCKED
Ignition/Steering lock switch:Position "I" to release the steering. *(see note for Discovery)
Handbrake: Released

NOTE: Selecting park prevents oil drag in the transfer gearbox from spinning the output shaft of the transmission. This condition causes damage due to no lubricant circulation, as the transmission oil pump is driven by the input shaft.

Transfer Gearbox Neutral - 1995-2002 Range Rover 4.0/4.6 (LP)
1. Switch off ignition.
2. Insert a 5 amp fuse into position 11 of the BeCM fuse box (see illustration).
3. Insert key and switch on ignition - message center will indicate transfer neutral.
4. Remove the fuse for normal gearbox operation after towing.

99_lr05freel_trd-100a.png
Full Size Image

Transfer Gearbox Neutral - 2003 Onward Range Rover (LM)
1. With the parking brake applied, insert the starter key and turn it to position"II".
2. Place the gear lever in "N" (Neutral).
3. Turn the starter switch to position "0".
4. Insert a fuse (5 amps) into position 37 of the passenger compartment fusebox.

00_lr05freel_trd-100b.jpg
Full Size Image

5. Turn the starter switch to position "II". The transfer gearbox will automatically select transfer neutral. Wait until the message center displays "TRANSFER NEUTRAL".
6. Place the gear selector in "P" (park).
7. Turn the starter switch to position "I".

NOTE: If for any reason, power from the battery is lost and transfer neutral cannot be engaged, the vehicle can still be towed for up to 6 hours at a maximum speed of 50 mph (80 km/h). If the main gearbox cannot be set in neutral, the vehicle must not be towed under any circumstances.

2002- Onward Discovery (LT) Ignition Switch Position
Do not attempt to tow the vehicle unless the starter switch is turned to position"II". If the vehicle is towed with starter switch in position "I", an inconsistency in the recorded vehicle mileage will occur.

Freelander Distance Limitation

CAUTION: To avoid serious damage to the transmission, towing distance must be limited to a maximum of 50 miles (80 km).

tims auto repair :

though,to answer the question..... i will give you info on removing the shaft also

tims auto repair :

Propeller Shaft - Rear

Service Repair No - 47.15.03

Remove

1. Raise rear of vehicle.

WARNING: Do not work on or under a vehicle supported only by a jack. Always support the vehicle on safety stands.

2. Select NEUTRAL in the main and transfer gearboxes.
3. If same components are to be refitted, reference mark propeller shaft and mating components.
4. Remove 4 nuts and bolts securing propeller shaft to transfer gearbox flange.
5. Remove 3 nuts and bolts securing propeller shaft to flexible coupling.
6. Remove propeller shaft.

Refit

1. Clean propeller shaft flanges and mating faces.
2. Position propeller shaft to transfer gearbox and flexible coupling.
3. Fit nuts and bolts securing propeller shaft to transfer gearbox and tighten to 47 Nm (35 ft. lbs.).
4. Fit nuts and bolts securing propeller shaft to flexible coupling and tighten to 76 Nm (56 ft. lbs.).
5. Lower vehicle.

tims auto repair :

Drive/Propeller Shaft Service and Repair, Removal and Replacement: Propeller Shaft - Front

Propeller Shaft - Front

Service Repair No - 47.15.02

Remove

1. Raise front of vehicle, chock the rear wheels and apply handbrake.

98_lr0102disco_47-005a.png
Full Size Image

3. If same components to be refitted, reference mark propeller shaft and mating components.
4. Remove 8 nuts and bolts securing propeller shaft to differential and transfer gearbox flanges.
5. Remove propeller shaft.

Refit

99_lr0102disco_47-005b.png
Full Size Image

2. Position propeller shaft to transfer gearbox and differential and tighten nuts and bolts to 47 Nm (35 ft. lbs.).
3. Remove stand(s) and lower vehicle.

tims auto repair :