Mike, Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I have been a Car/vehicle mechanic 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Opel Insignia I want to check the VIN No on a car I am looking

I want to check the VIN No on a car I am looking to purchase WOLGM6EB5A1063184. How can I be sure the VIN code is valid?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

What country are you in ?

Rgds - MIKE......................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Mike,

I am in France but the car has been sourced from Germany by LHD Car Supermarket in Nottingham, UK. So far, they have been very professional but have read about other LHD car sales companies in Nottingham so want to make sure I'm buying a legitimate car. some things didn't add up (5 door but no rear wiper) so want to check using the VIN number

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again.. thank you for your reply..

I asked because the .com companies will only give you US info.

If you go to this site HERE..click the link, you enter the cars reg number and it will reverse check / match to the cars VIN - which will show if its genuine that way...Too, that will give you the info you need - by way of checking if the car is legit - also its complete history as regards XXXXX XXXXX finance that may be on it - the police stolen register, mileage checks etc etc... It costs a fee but its well worth doing if you are at all suspicious.

If you wanted to check the actual VIN - by that I mean its specific ID.. then any Vauxhall dealer service dept can do that for you - that would be just a phone call to check that out ...

Im very pleased to have helped you -

Please click the Accept button for me now - Thank You ...and if you do need / wish to get back to me after - you can do so just by coming back to this post and use the Reply button - your reply will then come straight back to me .. and Im always happy to help further....

.Kind Rgds to you - MIKE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Mike,

The site you pointed me to only appears for GB registered cars. This car, as said is registered in Germany. As when purchasing cars, the number plate is masked so do not know the number plate. This just leaves me the VIN Code. I checked another site and got an invalid VIN code. Could this be possible? The country code, make and year were all correct. I was hoping to get the answer on this forum

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I want to know if the VIN number is XXXXX I was directed to a page to check the registration nmber but I do not have this information and it related to the UK (car is sourced in Germany)
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again -

Im sorry about that - I see your dilemma... You will be getting an invalid on the VIN check for the reasons I mentioned above - because they are not German based.

That said , I can tell you going off the first 3 letters of the VIN you list, that it is a German registered car - but thats why , as above, you are getting "invalid" on the VIN check.. they wont work with that VIN - it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the VIN.

So again - as I mentioned above - the way to check it for sure is to call a Vauxhall dealer - service dept.. and they will be able to check / verify that VIN for you. That shouldn't cost you anything at all to do that.

I hope that helps you further and clarifies the situation for you.

Best Rgds - MIKE

Mike, Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I have been a Car/vehicle mechanic 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Mike,

Thanks, not really the answer I wanted so will have to see the Opel dealer in France and see if he can help with a German registered car. There are only 4 petrol Opel Insignia's marketed for sale in France as the French generally buys diesel. However, the local Opel dealer told me to buy petrol as I don't do a lot of mileage and would have problems with the particulate filter. So that means going via the internet and need the security that this firm can deliver what they say. I have the Vin number but don't appear to be able to check it myself

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again - thank you for your reply..

You have been advised correctly re buying petrol over diesel because of the problems with the Dpf systems on vehilces doing low / town mileage - -that option will save you a lot of hassle and money over time !

As regards the VIN - Im afraid you are having the trouble because generally GM / Opel Vin decoders are not available on the net - as you have found... thats why I have had to direct you to a Vauxhall / GM dealer to check it out..

I honestly dont see you have any worries over it from what you have been saying - but that is the way to check the VIN out..

The only other way would be to contact Vauxhall / Opel customer services direct - you can get their contact details via a google search...

I hope that helps you a little more ..

Best Rgds - MIKE...