Mike, Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I have been a Car/vehicle mechanic 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.

2000 volkswagen beetle: a new ignition switch and swap it out..keys

My ignition switch for my 2000 Volkswagon Beetle is broken. Can I just buy a new ignition switch and swap it out (putting my current RFID tags in my current keys into the new keys that come with the switch).
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

Yes you can do what you say you intend to do and it will work ok as you are replacing the mechanical part of the lock..

• Remove locking fluid (paint) from threaded holes of securing screws.
  • Loosen two securing screws slightly and pull ignition/starter switch out from steering lock housing

• Push ignition/starter switch into steering lock housing.

NOTE: When installing the ignition/starter lock switch ensure that the ignition/starter lock switch and the lock cylinder are in the same position, e.g. "ignition on".

• Tighten securing screws.
  • Connect multi-pin connector to ignition/starter switch.
  • Install steering column switches and steering wheel trim.

Im very pleased to have helped you -

Please click the Accept button for me now - Thank You ...and if you do need / wish to get back to me after - you can do so just by coming back to this post and use the Reply button - your reply will then come straight back to me .. and Im always happy to help further....

.Kind Rgds to you - MIKE.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've already changed the ignition switch, I have to change the lock switch as well, that is where the tab is broken.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hello again -..

This is a little confusing as in the question you said - "My ignition switch for my 2000 Volkswagen Beetle is broken. Can I just buy a new ignition switch and swap it out...
... hence my reply re changing the switch.

Can you then please describe exactly what the problem is - I dont understand the ref to "tab"...

Rgds - MIKE..................................
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
after removing the ignition switch (plastic component that goes into the lock assembly, I noticed the metal tab of the ignition/lock starter assembly was broken off.

So I want to replace the assembly the key actually goes into as well. Sorry for the confusion. Before I buy the part (with keys), I was unsure if I could just swap the part, or if I needed to either use the current RFID tags in my current keys (and put them in the new set of keys), or if there was any other details I may be missing.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hello again -

Right I see what you have - you are referring to the electrical part as the "switch" - whereas I was referring to the whole mechanical part - sometimes referred to as the lock.

So in actual fact, the info I gave you at the outset is actually the info you need - because that comes complete - with the tag / tab , that fits into the electrical section to turn / operate it - .. ;)

So yes - follow through as per my first answer... when you swap the mechanical part / lock etc - you swap over the lock itself , for the new one - put everything else back as was... and its fine. The RFID work with the aerial / receiver unit - not the mechanical lock.

I hope that clarifies for you - let me know if there is anything else..

Meantime , Please don't forget the Accept for me - Thank You..

Best Rgds - MIKE..