Neal
Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

i have a 2010 grandturismo. 4.2 engine. 11,900 miles.the

i have a 2010 grandturismo. 4.2 engine. 11,900 miles.

the orange engine light come on, and shortly after that the yellow engine light. It says to have the engine checked and nothing else.

I shut it off and re started and it came back.

engine seems to be running fine, oil is fine. no vibrations or hesitations.

car drives fine.

immediately prior to this i drove about 5 miles, had the car washed and went to do grocery shopping, than back home. Light came on on way home.

any idea what it can be?
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

The most common cause of a check engine light is a loose gas cap, have you checked that?

Do you have a code scanner or can you get one?

Many codes are informational or random on those and don't require service - just a reset.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Gas cap is tight.

no code scanner and unable to get one.

i can try deleting the engine light on if you tell me how to do it. then i will start it again and see if it comesback.
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
You need to use a scanner to delete the code for the light. The parts store will check the code and clear it and do this for free and they cannot hurt anything. Or you can buy a scanner for as little as $50, make sure it is one that will allow you to read and delete codes. They are inexpensive and handy to have around.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i don kow much about scanners.

is this something i need a plug in adapter for?

Perhaps a little more info on the scanner i need.
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
If you go to the parts store you can look at the one they have and they sell them also, so they can show you how and where to hook it up and how to use it. They are very eary once someone shows you how.
Neal, Mechanic
Experience: Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.