Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.
9795573

Dodge: my boat trailer by adding electric brakes..RV..turn signal

Customer Question

I upgraded my boat trailer by adding electric brakes and two new rear light fixtures. I also added a new multiplug (7 point RV for Dodge) Everything works except the left brake, and turn signal. The light stays on but doesn't function correctly. I have checked all the wiring for mistakes and chenged the #1157 bulb but haven't found the problem.
Category: Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 3 years ago.
Does the left brake and turn signal fail to come on, or do they come on and not go off.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They come on and don't go off.
Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. At Just Answer the deposit you pay is not payment to the Expert, I only get paid if you click on accept, we receive no other pay. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed. If you are satisfied with the answer, and feel you can leave a positive feedback please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do.

You need to unplug them from the truck, and take a battery and energize each wire in the trailer plug and make sure the correct light comes on. This way you can determine if the problem is in the trailer, or the truck. Then double check the trailer wires to make sure they are hooked up like they should be. You probably have some unintended interconnection between the wires. This normally happens is bulb sockets, splice joints and plugs, like the main plug on the trailer. You can get into a strange problem called ground feedback, where items come on that shouldn’t be on, but that isn’t real common, and it is caused from a circuit that doesn’t have a good ground. Ground feedback is rare and crossed connections are the most common problem that cause problems like this. A voltmeter set to ohms is great to find problems like this.
If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. Just Answer is here to serve you. If the answer is not clear, please let me know what additional help you need, and I will assist you further. When you're satisfied, click on the green accept button. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.