Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

My 1982 delorean cranks but want start..feul..few seconds

Customer Question

My 1982 delorean cranks but want start and when i spray feul into the engine it will start for a few seconds
Category: Car
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.

eurotec :

Hi

eurotec :

If the engine starts and runs while you spray fuel into the intake you have ruled out an ignition problem. I suspect that this car has probably sat unused for some time. When that happens the CIS fuel distributor will fail. You need to start with a fuel pressure test and make sure that you have good pressure and flow from the tank and the pumps. Replace the fuel filter also. Next step would be to remove the fuel distributor and check the plunger in the bottom for free movement. Chances are it will be seized and chances are the fuel distributor will need to be replaced but you can try to free it up and see what happens. You will also most likely need to replace the warm up regulator as it will usually fail as well.

Customer:

the plunger inside the fuel dist. is moving up and down by hand and there is good fuel presure to the dist.

eurotec :

Has the car sat for a long time?

eurotec :

If your plunger is moving freely you need to check your control pressure through the warm up regulator.

eurotec :

If your warm up regulator is plugged you will get no fuel to the injectors.

eurotec :

Let me know if you have any questions.

eurotec :

I'm going to close this chat window now but you can still reply back if you need anything. Please remember to click Accept so I can receive credit for my help today.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not show a warm up regulator in my parts list
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.
Every CIS car has a warm up regulator. It's also referred to as a control pressure regulator. I've attached a picture below.

graphic