CarQuestionGuy
CarQuestionGuy, Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Technician for 5 years, ASE Refrigerant Handler, ASA, iATN
8613158

1991 isuzu rodeo: rain..truck hesitates and cuts..truck loses power

I have an 1991 Izusu Rodeo LSE. During periods of rain and high humidity, the truck hesitates and cuts off while driving. Most of the time the truck loses power. Some occiasions I hit a bump in the road and the Cruise light and transmission light on the dash lights up while the car is losing power. I have had sensors replaced. Any idea what the problem could be?

Ken P.
Category: Car
Expert:  CarQuestionGuy replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for asking your question on JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll do my best to answer your question.

This type of problem is sometimes hard to track down, but I can give you some things to try.
One of the most common things that causes this problem is when water gets in the distributor. You can take the cap off and spray with WD-40 and that will get rid of the water. You also might have and electrical connection that is not as tight as it should be that is causing this problem.
The best way to figure this out is to wait until you have a nice sunny, dry day and then get yourself a spray bottle and spray water on various parts of the engine. It might take a good amount of water to get it to do this. If you can get it to stall after you spray an area with water you know what is causing the problem.
You could also do this at night so you can see if you have any spark plug wires that are arcing.

Let me know how this test goes and I can help you more if needed.
CarQuestionGuy, Technician
Experience: ASE Master Auto Technician for 5 years, ASE Refrigerant Handler, ASA, iATN
Have you done this testing? How did it go?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have not tested the car yet. With 277,000 on the car I guess I have got my moneys worth. This problem is common with a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo. Thanks for your answer