Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Hummer cranks extra long and then starts

I have a 2003 hummer h2. Sometimes it cranks extra long and then starts. Kinda Embarrasing. Other times it cranks right up. No theft flashing light. It always does start just sometimes it takes extra long. No real consistancy full tank/half tank fuel, cold/hot. Any help would be appreciated.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

I just need a little more info to assist better.

Even though there is no real consistency is this more noticed when the engine has been run and shut off for a period of time then restarted?

Has anything been checked or tested at all?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No pattern. I dont drive vehicle very much. Its kinda a show car. Forgot to say it also has a supercharger (dont think it makes a difference). It kinda luck of the draw. I have tried to "note" conditions when it happens but there is no consistancy, just happens sometimes. No check engine light, no drivability problems. No I have not taken it to a shop to get tested.

One common component to fail and cause this problem here is the fuel pressure regulator.It can intermittently leak fuel into the vacuum line that connects to it and causes a slight engine flood out which causes extended cranking,in most cases you wont notice any excess smoke when this happens out of the exhaust.This regulator is located on the fuel injector rail on top of the engine and should be on the drivers side of the fuel injector rail.

In some cases you can remove the vacuum line and if fuel is fond leaking out then it needs replaced,this may be hard to catch to see if it is leaking since this is intermittent.

The other possibility is the fuel pump check valve in the fuel pump.It is suppose to maintain or hold the fuel pressure so it doesn't bleed back to the fuel tank.If it is bleeding back fuel pressure then this will cause an extended crank until fuel pressure builds up properly.The fuel pressure would have to be tested to see if it is at fault with a fuel pressure test gage connected to the test port on the fuel injector rail.Most shops or dealers can test this for you.

Your fuel pressure should be between 55 and 62 psi with the key on and engine off and should hold and not drop off.If it isn't reaching this point of pressure or is dropping off rapidly within a couple minutes then this usually indicates the pump is faulty and needs replaced.The fuel pump is located inside the fuel tank.

These are two common components that can cause this fault here.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!