Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

2000c: turbo diesel..year 2000..stalled..driving or on idle speed

Customer Question

I have a landrover freelander 2000cc turbo diesel year 2000. The engine sometime stalled while driving or on idle speed. We have checked the bosh and seems ok. Only issue is that there is air trapped in the fuel filter everyday even that the filter is purged every morning. Can you give an idea why this stalled issue is happening?? Where to look for the problem as it is stressful to drive in this condition. Regards,
Michael.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Is the engine light ever on? Is there always air in the fuel system and bleeding the system allows the vehicle to start?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The vehicle starst normally and drive quite well but we can feel a stall may be two to three times during a day driving. On idle it happened occasionally in the afternoon. Air is in the fuel filter only but don't know where it comes from after bleeding the fuel filter every morning. The local mechanician does know where to check now and that is why I am trying the web.
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Ok this can be caused by the fuel pump was this checked ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The diesel fuel injector was rebuilt lately as it was leaking.Mainly all joints and seals were changed. But metal parts were re-used. Could this be the culprit or cause. I would like to know how air get trapped everyday in the fuel filter which is daily bleed.
Awaiting your comments. Regards, Michael.
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Yep absolutely . Sounds likelier letting air into the system. This is where I would focus next. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are you saying that air comes from the Re-built diesel fuel injector even all the joints and seals were changed??? Please note that no diesel leak is noticed around the Fuel injector.Just explain clearly how air get back in the Fuel Filter.

Regards, Michael.
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Because it's a sealed system and if there is a slight leak it will suck air into the system usually caused by the fuel pump itself . Once the vehicle is off and the fuel system depressurizes if there's a leak it will suck in air. This is what needs to be checked next . Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You are saying that "If there is a slight leak" but there is no trace of any diesel coming out of the Bocsh Injector. Again, how then is the air getting through???

Need really to know for sure before I can put pressure on the mechanician. Then I could release payment. Regards,Michael.
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
They need to do a vacuum test on the fuel system. If it's losing vacuum or not the proper vacuum it can allow air into the fuel system. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.