Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
17454363

Isuzu: pickup which will not start..sputter..run OK

I have an Isuzu i290 pickup which will not start about every 20th or 30th start. It turns over fine and all the dash stuff comes on it just will not even sputter. If you keep trying to start it eventually it will start and run OK. The only trouble code it has is for a problem with the evap canister purge solenoid. Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 5 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it wont start, have you checked to see if you are getting spark to the plugs?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I checked and it does not.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 5 years ago.
this is usually caused by a bad crankshaft sensor, have you checked for codes stored in the computer yet?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I checked the codes, but not when it won't start. I think it probably resets after so many successful starts. The only code that shows is for a problem with the evap canister purge valve solenoid. Can the crankshaft sensor be intermittent?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 5 years ago.
Yesm and it usually is, it can intermittently lose the signal, and this will cause it to not start, once its running, it can lose the signal breifly, with out effecting the running,Tim
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I replace the sensor, do I need to have a variation learning procedure done?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the variation relearn will need to be done and you will need a scanner to do this,Tim