Don Knight
Don Knight, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  40 Years reparing all types of vechiles

voyager: awhile..gas, because when i press the gas pedal it bogs..van

Customer Question

my 1997plymouth voyager keeps stalling on me. it just stopps after driving for awhile. sometimes it feels like it is not geting gas, because when i press the gas pedal it bogs. so i turn the van off for about ten minutes and then it is fine for another couple of blocks.  actually i dont turn it off, it has already stalled.  i thought maybe distributor cap or maybe spark plugs not in right or bad, i am atmy witts end.
Category: Car
Expert:  Don Knight replied 2 years ago.
I would have your fuel pressure checked and also change the fuel filter.You could also check for any codes in the system by cycling the key on and off three times.On the third time leave the key in the run position and see if any codes appear at the odometer.Please let me know what you find.Your mechanic may be correct about the alternator and if you would like another opinion just go to any parts house,they will check the charging system for free.That way you will have some thing to go on.Please let me know if you need more assistance,Don
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried the key thing, the only thing that happened was the check engine light started o flash. Nothing on the odometer. Alternator is brand new. I was. Told it was the alternator but that obviously wasn't it. All and any other suggestions would be appreciated. I can't keep putting money out for thing that didn't need to be fixed. As much knowledge as possible.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried the key thing, the only thing that happened was the check engine light started o flash. Nothing on the odometer. Alternator is brand new. I was. Told it was the alternator but that obviously wasn't it. All and any other suggestions would be appreciated. I can't keep putting money out for thing that didn't need to be fixed. As much knowledge as possible. I aslo thouht maybe a bad relay. I am trouble shooting this by myself. Thanks or yur help
Sorry about the miscommunication.The check engine light flashing is for the codes.The newer models use the odometer.Watch the flashes on the check engine light.They will be two digit codes,for example 1 flash, pause then 2 flashes which would be code #12.As for the alternator have the charging system tested.The voltage regulator for your Chrysler is part of the engine control module.Which means that if the alternator is not charging correctly you may need to replace the computer.Please check the codes again and let me know what you find,Don
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I checked the codes again. The first set was one then two faster, then the seconds set was one_one. Then 5 faster ones. Then another five. I thought I accepted the answer before but I will click it again. I am now on cell phone and it does not alwways work. Thank you so much for all your help. One more thing, what would be a fair price for the work that u may think I need
The middle code you got 11 is either a crank position sensor or cam position sensor interminent power.At this point i would have the charging system checked.I think your problem may lead to the computer going out.The first code you got 12 was showing that you were in a self diagnostic.The last code 55 tells you that it was the end of the program.If your mechanic doesn't have a level two scan tool to see if the computer is acting up I would try another shop.