CarQuestionGuy, Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Technician for 5 years, ASE Refrigerant Handler, ASA, iATN

landrover..locking..keyfob and walking away the alarm system goes off

I have a 2001 Discover Series LandRover. The problem is, shortly after locking the vehicle with the keyfob and walking away the alarm system goes off. Most of the time it happens within two to three minutes. Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  CarQuestionGuy replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for asking your question on JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll do my best to answer your question.

When you lock your vehicle do all of the locks go all the way down?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That is one thing I had already checked but failed to mention. Let me check again. One place I did not check was the rear door. I will check. Give me a moment. Okay, the rear gate does lock. I also sat in the vehicle after locking and checked that not only all doors lock but the latches, if you call them that, do go all the way down. My only suspicion from the start was the alarm system is not getting the signal all the doors are in fact locked. My knowledge is limited on whether there is a separate sensor in the door locking mechanism on the LandRover or does the system only sense a successful activation of the door lock solenoid. My knowledge of signal flow, solenoids, and sensors is in medical instrumentation not automotive.
You suspicion from the start is likely correct. These vehicles have a history of bad door switches. Since they all go down, the next step would be to see if the computer is seeing that all the doors are locked when they are. Sometimes the door locks go bad and don't send the signal to the computer that they are locked. The sensor is built into the door lock mechanism.
Unfortunately the only way to check this is with a dealer scan tool. If you live in a big area you might be able to find an independent shop that specializes in Land Rovers.
Most likely you have a door lock sensor that is bad, but it also could be a bad computer or a problem in the wiring somewhere.