Superbob, Senior Master auto technician
Experience:  Ford Lincoln, Mercury, Seinor Master, diesel certified, mazda certified, ASE Master

My car makes a squealing noise when it starts

Customer Question

Why does my car make a horrible squealing noise when it first starts?
Category: Car
Expert:  Superbob replied 5 years ago.
The most common cause for a loud squealing noise when first started is a result of a loose or old and hardened accessory drive belt! If you take a finger full of a light body grease like Vaseline and put some on the inside of the belt(s) when the engine is not running and then the next time you start it cold if it does not make the noise, you will know that you need to either tighten the tension on the belt(s) or replace them!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunatley my husband is deployed for the next year, leaving all repairs to me, and have no idea where to find the belt? Any helpful ideas on what I am looking for? It is an 06 Nissan Maxima.
Expert:  Superbob replied 5 years ago.

The drive belts for your vehicle will be on the front of the engine, they are what delivers the engine rotational motion to the pulleys such as the alternator, power steering pump, and air conditioning compressor! Below I have attached the workshop manual section for adjustment of these belts. If this is something that you do not think that you can tackle yourself, it would be considered an a simple fix at most local shops or even the wall mart tire center, and the charge to adjust your belt tension would be very reasonable!