Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.
9795573

super: cars..flex..100-130 mpg truck when at hwy speeds , 55-70 mph

i was recently at a drag race for electric cars , i seen this dragster with a electric motor in it , they were running 2000vdc , though a 4 pole dc motor , creating 8,000 rpm at 775hp using a small dc motor that weighed 250 pds , i know what they were doing , using a dc power system , like 3 phase vac power , any one know where i can find out how they did it? what they do not know ,is that they just solved the weight issue , for my flex power system , for the 30-40 mpg 18 wheel super truck , you can see the proto type i am building a 100-130 mpg truck when at hwy speeds , 55-70 mph
Category: Car
Expert:  Stephen Dempsey replied 3 years ago.

Stephen Dempsey :

Hello, my name isXXXXX you for coming to Just Answer.

Stephen Dempsey :

I must say that I don't know exactly what the question you have is, but I love the idea and the website is, if not overly informative, certainly intriguing.

Stephen Dempsey :

I think the best way to find out more about how they can generate 2000v and make such massive power is to contact the race team directly. I would explain that you are not a competitor, but a fan and are really interested in what they do and how they do it. Since the sport is still in its infancy, I imagine they will be eager to talk about it.

Stephen Dempsey :

Applying my knowledge of DC electronics and making a lot of supposition, I see a few problems going from the drag strip to a long distance truck. First, a drag car only needs to travel 1/4 mile on a charge. This allows the use of lightweight, fast discharge batteries. Second, the charge time of the batteries is unimportant, it could take a charge over a period of days and be sufficient for its purpose. Third, longevity of a motor wound for speed v. one wound for durability. Much like funny engines, I suspect these motors have a very short life expectancy.

Stephen Dempsey :

I understand that you will have a charging system on board, powered (I would imagine) by diesel; much like a diesel/electric locomotive. I think the issue is more in finding suitable batteries, than an appropriate motor.

Stephen Dempsey :

You will need a battery system that charges quickly and offers a long discharge cycle. This is out of my realm of knowledge, but I am very interested in what you are doing.

Stephen Dempsey :

If you are anywhere near Houston, I would love to drop in and see the project.

Stephen Dempsey :

Along similar lines, what do you think about the abstract idea I have? Specifically, fitting hydrogen fuel cell power plants to huge ocean liners. They could be 100% emission free, more reliable, and with the amount of fuel oil they burn, the cost would likely offset in a few years.

Sorry, I know that I am the one who is supposed to answer questions, but it seems like you have a visionary mind for reducing the dependence on petroleum for shipping.

Stephen Dempsey :

Just noticed that your area code puts you in the Austin area, that is pretty cool too.

Stephen Dempsey :

Let me know if it is okay to drop you an e-mail on my personal time.

All the Best,
Stephen

Stephen Dempsey, Auto Mechanic
Experience: I am an top-notch diagnostician with 8+ years of experience managing auto repair shops, import, domestic, and collector cars.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

stephen , yes you can drop me an email , XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX/ or call me XXX-XXX-XXXX

the problem is that 18 wheel trucks operate on speed for gears , the electric drive train operates at a constant power one speed , using a transmission to vary speeds , like an 18 wheel truck engine, i built my frist proto type , a 71 chevy surburban , it got 97mpg at hyw speeds only 55-70 mph , there is a way to establish a conatant power from a generator , then run the voltage direct at a constant , no batteries , system works at predetermind speeds only , 55.60.65.70 , outside of these , speeds the system does not work , and your truck is just a normal truck , if i take a load from dallas to chicago , i do not lose my money getting in and out of dallas , i lose my money on the open hwy in between , think of it this way , when the truck is at hwy speeds ,the engine switches to powering a generator , the dc motor kicks in and powers the truck , in 1974 porsche did a study , it takes 285hp to create 65mph , the car needs 85hp to matain 65mph , my system matains speed ,it does not create it , it is a cruise control , because of the value of the 30-40 mpg 18 wheel truck , estamatied at 65 billion dollars , i need help , with design , specs , launauge , of the patents , expertise far beyound my level , would be willing to share inventor stauts , thx

How did the prototype do on steep grades?

My uncle's motor home comes to mind. He has a '97 Bounder that is as large as it gets for a class C license. Against his wishes, he bought the gasoline version (my aunt would not pony up the extra $10K). At any rate, he averaged 4 mpg on his first trip. This was unacceptable so he came to me for tips on fuel economy.

Looking at the coach, it could not breath. I suggested an exhaust system and a high flow air filter. Almost $10K later, he was averaging 6 mpg; a 50% increase. He still wanted more. On the next trip, I drove for 300 miles straight while everyone else slept. I kept a constant speed of 65 mpg on flat ground, but did not offer any more throttle when climbing a hill. Sometimes I would slow to 40 mph or so. On that stretch, I averaged 8.5 mpg

This gave my uncle the idea of installing a constant throttle lever. We used one for a tractor and mounted it near the driver's right knee. This was great until state inspection time came around. The inspector almost choked and said that was very dangerous (personally I see the danger, but don't think it any worse than cruise control).

The moral of the story is a constant power supply would be great on flat ground, but it would be better if you had a way to bump up the juice when more power was needed. Perhaps have the generator run at 75% so you could have a switch to offer a kick when needed.
Stephen Dempsey, Auto Mechanic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
trucks already slow down for hills, so it would be status que, besides the cruise controll on the truck would sense the slow down and add power , from the engine, reduces fuel mpg , but would control all variences, remeber both drive trains working together at max power would produce 875hp total out put , not to worry about hills, each drive works speratly they are not connected
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 3 years ago.
I noticed the other expert opted out, do you need further assistance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes when i was at the electric car drag races they where using a small electric motor , weighing about 250 pds , they were running 2000vdc into this motor , to create 8,000 rpm creating 775 hp , this electric dragster ran as fast as the gas engines , i know they were using a batteries , but they had to have an inverter, from the batteries to the motor ,to create this voltage , do you know how they did it ? they would not tell me , they just said it is what happens when you run a electric motor wide open? i want to find out how they did it,
Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. At Just Answer the deposit you pay is not payment to the Expert, I only get paid if you click on accept, we receive no other pay. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed. If you are satisfied with the answer, and feel you can leave a positive feedback please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do.

I have worked with electric vehicles, AC, and DC motors, inverters, speed controllers, new technologies of all kinds, and I have worked with the USPTO ( United States Patent & Trademark office) quite a bit. I also have an automotive, electrical, and mechanical engineering background. Along with tons of auto repair experience. A project like you are wanting to pursue is pretty deep. If you make any breakthroughs you would need to patent them to protect the intellectual property, and that is expensive. Not only is filing, and pursing the patents expensive, there are maintenance fees, for all patents, I pay a huge amount just for the maintenance fees on my patents. So there are two sides to patents, they can make money or they can be a huge expense.

The motors used in dragsters are specialized, and can only be run for a few seconds at a time on the drag strip. I custom wound a few motors for a similar project. I signed a nondisclosure with this organazation so I cant get into specifics, but believe me these custom motors are useless for propelling any vehicle beyond the intended purpose, because they are almost at the melting point at the end of the drag strip after one run. It is sort of like an old school flash bulb used in cameras, you know the disposable type that you plug in and one FLASH, and then you throw it away. It is still a light bulb and even though it is bright, it is useless for normal illumination. It does what it was designed to exceedingly well, but it cant go beyond that, and is useless for normal illumination. That is the best analogy to compare the dragster motors to. With any electric motor heat is the number one limiting factor when it comes to the motors output. Small motors cant put out huge power because of the heat buildup that occurs with big power. Big power equals big heat. If the motor is large enough it can dissipate the heat, if it is to small it burns up.

So botXXXXX XXXXXne is you are at a dead end with the dragster motor, it is useless for transportation other than 1/4 mile at a time. I can point you in the right direction if you want to play with fossil fuel powered hybrids, sort of in the same basic direction you were originally going. I was working with this but I moved on to more environmentally friendly power to adapt to transportation. Look into building a scaled down version of the drive system used in locomotives. This drive system can move one ton of freight incredible distances per gallon of fuel. CSX a train companies latest fuel consumption figures are 1 ton of freight can be transported 468 miles on one gallon of diesel fuel on their trains. So the diesel powered generator, producing electricity which turns electric motors to propel the train is a very efficient system, much more so that any thing currently on the road today. In my humble opinion this is so overlooked, and could be adapted to large trucks with sufficient research, and the all important $$$$ and lots of $$$. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. Just Answer is here to serve you. If the answer is not clear, please let me know what additional help you need, and I will assist you further. When you're satisfied, click on the green accept button. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience: 30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes , your answer was great , i was worried about those motors , my origanal design is reliable , but much heavier , just for the record , i have already built a flex power sytem in a 71 chevy suburban , it gets 97 mpg at 70 mph at hwy speeds only, 55-70 mph ,

my flex power system is a hwy power boost system , it is designed for an 18 wheel truck , i already have lawyers , at no cost , they are going to take a piece of the patents ,

yes , a 30-40 mpg 18 wheel truck can be done /// , and is worth 65 billion dollars , why do you think the lawyers want a piece , i need to find help in the patent designs , specs , launguage , far better expertise than i can do , i am running an add in the texas am newspaper trying to recruit , a 3-4 yr engineneering student , to do better drawings , the lawyers want me to build a new proto type , that makes a statment , yes the super truck can be built/

You need to get a book from Nolo press called... patent it yourself. Great read, and walks you through the patent process. Look into provisional patent applications, they are good for one year, sort of a place marker to give you time to advance, or fund raise. My specialty with patents is to read the language, and make them airtight. I don’t know if you have heard of Nortel, I used to do work for their global director of intellectual property, and what he had me do was to improve the patent language, and make then harder to infringe upon. So let me know if you have any questions. With this project what you need to concentrate on is a working model. I wouldn’t worry about a full scale model, just a proof of concept, and prepare to have it put under a microscope, by investors, in order to get it to move forward. Focus on patentable aspects, because not all devices, and processes are patentable. Learn the differences between utility patents, and design patents, and study the provisional patent process. People who have the audacity to think they can change the world, are normally the ones that do change the world. Don’t give up.
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes , i need the lawyers because a subsantal increase in americas trucking industry , would pick a fight with everone , yes i need help with mechanical language of the patent , drawings , design specs , just better than i can do , the lawyers have offered to fund me , i just do not want to give them any more ownership than i have to , i need to build the next proto type to prove the system , the problem is that i built something no one else has even has even tried , as far as investors , they talk to the edacated elistis , they say it can not be done , i say it can , there is alot of pepole who are going to eat there words , it like the lawyers said . the educated elitist , will say [ we never thought doing it that way , so they will not have to amidt there wrong , thx for your help
All the technical areas are well known, in my opinion many great discoveries lie in the cracks between the technologies, because of how different groups of technologies interact with each other. I cal this area the cracks in technology. Stable magnetic levitation was considered to be impossible until a few years ago when someone did it at home in their garage. Investors that are techies in your field are your best bet, they get it. Other investors will generally be brain dead to your technology, they wont get it. Try to maintain controlling interest, but if it advances the project, let go, Bill Gates only owns 17% of Microsoft, and he is doing well. Loosing controlling interest is much better than stalling the project. Be prepared for companies who your patent will hurt to fight you, even at the USPTO, yes that is a dirty little secret, it happened to me. They also may want to buy the technology to destroy it, where it will never be used. Then it becomes a moral issue. You have a big challenge my friend, DO IT.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

great answer , the lawyers warned me , that there will be allot of offers from people , who want to make my flex power system , never come to market , the super truck is my lives work and one day you will see it on the news , wait till i prove everyone wrong about there holy bible of a perpetual machine , yes i can control my greed , help my country, and Americas truckers , so because i am willing to take less money from the manufactures , this is where everyone calls me an idiot , what they do not get is that the RAM JET CRUISER , is right behind the super truck , it is a 747 that travels in the water , at speeds of 200 mph at a depth of 1000 ft , i built the ram jet engine 30 yrs ago,

but , electric motors , generators , pto systems , hydraulic drives motors, were not good enough , but now they are , so i am going to launch a global ipo , to start [

[ TRANS-OCEANIC-AIR ] I was just contacted by a professor at the Texas transportation institute , they want a meeting with me maybe i just got the break i have been waiting for ? graphic

Good luck with your projects, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer