Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

Triumph TR7 Car has been in storage for 4 years and will not

Car has been in storage for 4 years and will not start.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.
Hello

will it crank / turn over?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes it will turn. The gas that was in the tank evaporated over the years.
Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.
OK if its cranks I'd start by checking that you've got spark by removing one of the spark plugs and plug it back into its lead and rest it on the metal of the engine ( DO NOT hold it on place by hand) then have your assistant turn the engine over whilst you watch the plug. It should give a fat blue spark at regular intervals.

If theres no spark then check that there's power to the coil (at the other end of the plug lead) using a meter. If there’s 12V at the coil but no spark then check connections to the distributor

If you have spark then I'd move onto checking the carbs its quite possible that the old fuel has gummed up the carb jet and needle

if this is the case then the carbs will need stripping down and cleaning with plenty of carb cleaner