CarQuestionGuy, Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Technician for 5 years, ASE Refrigerant Handler, ASA, iATN

1983 2.0l fiat ducato campervan.on..lost power..exhaust..mile..blown

Customer Question

I have a 1983 2.0l fiat ducato campervan.
on journey to day it suddenly lost power and started pumping clouds of smoke from exhaust. within a mile or so it overheated and had suddenly lost all of its water.
Is it likely to be the head gaskit blown or more severe??
Category: Car
Expert:  CarQuestionGuy replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for asking your question on JustAnswer. My name is Steve and I'll do my best to answer your question.

Most of the time when you have the large clouds of white smoke it is a blown head gasket. I would say 90% that is your problem.

There are several tests that can be done to confirm. One is called a "block test". This test can tell you if there is exhaust gasses in your cooling system (indicating a leaking head gasket). You can also sometimes tell by performing a pressure test on the cooling system.