ASE Master Tech 35yrs
ASE Master Tech 35yrs, ASE Master Auto Tech
Experience:  ASE Certified since 1972,Master Auto tech,Heavy Truck Tech, foriegn and domestic

68 camaro: instrument cluster..the fuel gauge with factory tach..bulb

Long problem. I was restoring my 68 camaro 350 and finished the instrument cluster replacing the fuel gauge with factory tach. Put it all together and perfect except one flasher bulb died. Pulled it apart and put it back together and no spark. Replaced coil and mallory unilite dist module and fired right up once. Now no power to the +coil and no spark. Pull the ignition switch off an some heat damage to the acc lead on the switch. Battery has 12v. What did I do?
Category: Car
Expert:  ASE Master Tech 35yrs replied 5 years ago.

ASE Master Tech 35yrs :

Glad to be of help. What you need to do is trace power from battery to ignition switch to see if the ignition switch is getting power in. You may have blown fuseable link at 10ga wire by starter. the yellow lead on solenoid "I" terminal supplies voltage to coil at start position, then run position from ignition switch supplies power to coil. I will look for a wiring diagram and get back to you.

ASE Master Tech 35yrs :

I'm switching to Q&A format to be notified of your response.

Start from the battery and check voltage to the starter, fuse block, fuses & ignition switch. If you have power to ignition switch and no power out to coil replace ignition switch. You may have a bad resistor wire so check to where power is lost.

Here are some wiring diagrams:

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have power to switch and engine cranks but no voltage at +coil. If I run a hotwire from harness BATT to IGN still no volts at+coil

On starting with key in start position the voltage flows through the yellow wire from solenoid to coil+. When in run position the voltage comes directly from ignition switch. Power runs through a different circuit. Check your fuseable links. A fuseable link looks just like a regular wire except that it will melt internally and won't be able to see if it's bad with the naked eye. You will have to probe it with test light to fine out where the power is lost.

Replace your ignition switch, that's a given.

Look at this diagram: