Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

trying to determine if I have a fan gone bad..tried a new relay

I have been trying to determine if I have a fan gone bad or the relay is bad. Is there any way to test the fan on the car to be sure it is good? I have tried a new relay and the fan is still not coming on. I want to be sure the fan is bad before I take the fan off and replace it.
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks. At the relay use a paperclip or wire to jump terminal 30 to 87 and this hsould cause fan to come on if not verify fan has good power/ground and replace fan. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dan,

Where are the terminals you mentioned, on the connector? I have a diagram of the terminal end of the relay connector and it has 4 female receivers for the relay plugs labeled A,B,C and D.

Charles

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
If you look on side of relay it should show numbers 30 and 87....If not juse use a wire and do some guessing, nothing bad will happen if you dont use the right combination. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So, as I understand what you are saying, I find the numbers on the relay and jump the corresponding terminals on the connector. Is that correct?

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
That is correct...and this should cause fan to come on, if not its likely burned out. Let me know if you run into questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

That is very helpful. One thing I am a little uncertain about is if I am checking the correct relay. The diagram I have shows three relays on the driver side fender wall with the fan relay being in the front, the middle being the auto shutdown, and the rear being the starter relay. However, when I unplugged the front relay, The starter would not work, making me think that that is the starter relay. The middle relay shut the engine down. When I unplugged the rear relay, which is supposed to be the starter relay, the engine started normally. I am wondering if the relays are in the reverse order from the diagram or the connectors were plugged in reverse order. Any way to be sure I am looking at the correct relay?

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Here is a picture of correct relay. Let me know if you have questions.

http://db.tt/EeILqWq
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Should unplugging the fan relay cause the engine not to start? When jumping the termnals on the connector with a wire or paper clip, do I need to wear insulated gloves?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Unplugging the fan relay should not cause vehicle to not start.....You o not need insulated gloves.....Make sure wire is big enough to handle some current. Let me know if you run into questions, thanks.