George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist

Relay 2: headlight..it keep going out

i have now had to change my headlight relay 2 times in the last 6 months. why does it keep going out
Submitted: 2 years ago via GreatAutoHelp.
Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Please post the Year, make and model of the vehicle you are asking about.

If you have install some of the aftermarket "super bright" or blue bulbs these draw more current than the OEM style so that can damage a relay.

Similarly if the pin sockets fro the relay are burnt or loose this will cause excess heat and damage the relay.

Let me know what car you have and I will be happy to answer any follow up questions you may have

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it's a chevrolet trailblazer 2006 model. i don't have the blue bulbs, so how do i find out what is causing it to keep going out
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
Pull the relay and inspect the pin sockets in the fuse block for any burning or melting or loose fit. Are you using OEM relays to replace or are they aftermarket?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i don't know i purchase them from abc auto parts store they look just like the original one i removed
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
Try one from the dealer after you inspect the pin socket for fit, you can cut part of the old relay off and use it to feel how tight the fit it. It should take a fair amount of effort to slide the pin in and out of the socket. Look down into the socket and see if it is burnt, the block will need to be replaced if it is.

Let me know how I can help

Thanks
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist