Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.

The radiator rodded, they carried out some core leaks repairs..flushed

I have a 2000 defender and have been having cooling problems. Replaced the thermostat, which corrected an immediate over heating issue, but still smelt hot and was expeling a little through the expansion bottle. Had the radiator rodded, they carried out some core leaks repairs and completely flushed the system. The radiator shop said there was quite a lot of gunk in the system which suggested it may have had head gasket problem in the past but also stated that the coolent in the system was clean, so no indication there was a head gasket issue now. So got the vehicle back and three days afterwards I developed coolant a pin hole leak in a step hose in the area beneath the exhaust manafold. So replaced that and also replaced the cap on the expansion bottle. The next day had a further small over heat episode. Found that there maybe an air lock in the system So when cold, I released the bleed screw on the to hose and squeezed every coolent hose I could see. Did seem to get some air out of the line. I drove it for around 20 min this morning and the temp stayed stable. Still not totally convinced that I am on top of it.. I gave it an oil change a couple of weeks ago and there was no water in the oil, and the coolent shows no signs of any oil. The engine performance is unchanged. Can I eliminate the head gasket as a result, or do I need to find someone who can check this. Or is there a way I can carryout this check and eliminate it myself. Nervous landrover driver. Simon.
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

I think there is a good chance it is a headgasket issue. You can pressure test the system to check for leaks in any other hoses.

Are the hoses hard when at operating temp indicating pressure on the system?

To rule out the head gasket, I would try a product called Blue Devil, I have had tremendous success in cases even worse than yours. It is a high end block and head gasket sealer. I don't know if you can get it there or not. Make sure you follow the instructions and chances are extremely good it will fix your issue permanently or at least for a very long time. They advertise a 90% success rate and a money back guarantee. Here is a link to the manufacturer if you want to read more about it.