Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2003 Buick LeSabre: service stability system..warning

My car is a 2003 Buick LeSabre. The "service stability system" or "stability system active" warning comes on periodically.

Dan :

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks.

Dan :

Have you had the diagnostic codes checked?

Customer:

No

Dan :

Ok, without the diagnostic codes I cant say 100% but one of the most common issues I've seen with these vehicles is the steering wheel position sensor which sets a code C1287.

Dan :

Some parts stores can check codes for free or some shops will check for around $20 or so.

Dan :

I believe its about a $400 job to have it replaced at dealer. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer:

I had my regular service station run a diagnostic check, but they could not find a problem. I have an appt. scheduled with my dealership. Just wander about possible problem and cost.

Dan :

Most likely steering wheel position sensor which will be around $400...The service shop you brought vehicle to probably had a lower end scantool that wasnt able to check suspension and abs related codes. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer:

They indicated possibility of sensor and said cost of part probably $400 and labor $200. Is dealer my best (only) option?

Dan :

The dealer is pretty much your only option as most shops dont carry the scantool needed to recalibrate the new sensor...It sounds like we were talking about the same part needing to be replaced but I believe the part is closer to $200 then $400 for the sensor.

Dan :

Let me know if you have qustions, thanks.

Customer:

My other problem is the digital display of speed which shows up on window. That is not working. Can you give me an idea of cost to repair or replace? I love that feature, but will learn to live without it if too expensive.

Dan :

That usually means the heads up display unit itself has failed...You can get a used one from www.car-parts.com and have dealer install..Its a hour to install and $600 part new...Can probably get it for $150 used on www.car-parts.com or ebay.

Dan :

Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer:

Thank you. This will help me be prepared when I go for appt. Do you think I should check with another Buick dealership for a quote

Dan :

Most dealers will charge about the same...I'd just stick with the one closest.....Its a 2 hour job to install sensor assuming thats problem then all dealers will charge same price for part. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer:

Thank you.