SNAPONTECH
SNAPONTECH, Technician
Experience:  2 year Associate in Applied Arts and Sciences Degree in Automotive Repair Technology
49697172

flatbed tow truck..parked on an incline..brakes

does a 2003 international flatbed tow truck need wheel chocks if it is parked on an incline? would the absence of chocks cause a failure of either the parking or regular brakes?
Category: Car
Expert:  SNAPONTECH replied 3 years ago.

SNAPONTECH :

Welcome to Justanswer, My name isXXXXX am here to help.

Customer:

so what do you think about my question?

SNAPONTECH :

Hello

SNAPONTECH :

This should but I have seen it happen

SNAPONTECH :

When parking on a hill especially will lock up the parking brake not the normal brakes though

Customer:

you wouldn't use the regular brakes if parking on a hill? you would only use the emergency brake? how come

SNAPONTECH :

No you would not want to use either if possible

SNAPONTECH :

What you can do is park the vehicle with the wheels pointed away from the direction of the curb

SNAPONTECH :

Then let it roll back and if your not going to be using this for a long time then you will want to use blocks

SNAPONTECH :

If you have the E brake on it can seize I have seen it

SNAPONTECH :

But allowing it to roll back and touch the curb with the wheels turned then you are fine in park but can lightly use the ebrake if needed

Customer:

if you put the truck in park without blocks should it hold?

SNAPONTECH :

Yes it will just have the wheels pointing away

Customer:

i have a case where a tow truck driver parked on a hill and used blocks. he knew he had problems with his brakes. his passenger then moved the blocks, the truck rolled down the hill and hit my client's building. who do you think is at fault?

SNAPONTECH :

This may have been a manual transmission

SNAPONTECH :

Most tow trucks are if so it should have been in gear

SNAPONTECH :

As long as proper steps were taken the vehicle should not have rolled back. In park the only way possible is if the park pin broke

SNAPONTECH :

If its manual transmission and was left out of gear neutral then thats a big mistake on the drivers part

SNAPONTECH :

As to who is at fault this is something you will want to speak with a attorney of law.

Customer:

so the truck should be in gear, wheels turned, with parking brake on? and if so, the truck shouldn't roll even with no blocks?

SNAPONTECH :

correct

SNAPONTECH :

in gear if MT park if AT

Customer:

and if the parking brake fails that means the parking pin broke? what symptoms would you experience if you had a problem with the parking pin?

SNAPONTECH :

No if its a automatic transmission and it rolled while in park the parking pin would have to break

SNAPONTECH :

If the parking pin is broke it will move while its in park

SNAPONTECH :

Let me know if you need anything else If I have answered your questions please press the green ACCEPT button in the lower right hand corner. Thanks in advance Danny

SNAPONTECH, Technician
Experience: 2 year Associate in Applied Arts and Sciences Degree in Automotive Repair Technology