Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

1997 Ford Ranger: electronic (No Cable) it stop working..meter..fuses

I own a 1997 Ford Ranger I can't get it to pass smog due to check engine light remains on.
THe speedometer is electronic (No Cable) it stop working when I used a Dignostic meter on it the code was for the speedometer sensors. I replaced both the rear dyferanshal and transmission sensors. cleared the code and reset the computer but I check engine light remains on the speedometer still does not work and I made sure all the fuses are good.
What should I also check for???
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks.

What size engine? What diagnostic code are you getting?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THe Code is a P0500 I have a 4 cylinder with the 6 spark plugs
4 cyl with 6 spark plugs doenst make sense.......that means you have a V6...If you want to tell me 8th digit of vin I can confirm this....Automatic or manual transmission?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Whoops! Sorry its a 4 cylinder that has the 8 plugs two per cylinder and its a 5 speed manual transmission
The Vin # is 1FTCR10ABVTA73219
This means you have a wiring problem with the vehicle speed sensor. At the vss verify the pink/orange wire has good ground if so then the grey/black wire that goes between sensor and gem/cluster/speed servo has failed...You will need to run some new wires or trace wire to find damage...Here is a wire diagram to help.

graphic