Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.

1981 chevy p30: tow..what model towbar i needand how to hook it up

I would like to tow a 1981 chevy p30 with my 2001 ford ranger

I need to know what model towbar i need

and how to hook it up
Category: Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Hamman :

Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. At Just Answer the deposit you pay is not payment to the Expert, I only get paid if you click on accept, we receive no other pay. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed. If you are satisfied with the answer, and feel you can leave a positive feedback please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do.

You have a couple of choices, you can buy an expensive package with a dedicated tow bar mounting kit, (about $300) and then buy a tow bar to go with it, for another $200. Or you can buy an inexpensive universal towbar. If you were going to tow frequently, or long distances the more expensive setup would be the best. But say if you bought the Chevy and you needed to go a couple of hundred of miles to pick it up, an inexpensive towbar would probably do the job. With the less expensive towbars you have to take it easy, they are not built real tough. Harbor freight makes a universal 5000 pound towbar for about $80. I have seen people pull one ton dualies with these, it is a little light for that, taking it easy would be real important if you opt for a light towbar. For an inexpensive setup look at the link HERE, for heavier units look HERE, and HERE. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. Just Answer is here to serve you. If the answer is not clear, please let me know what additional help you need, and I will assist you further. When you're satisfied, click on the green accept button. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.