SNAPONTECH
SNAPONTECH, Technician
Experience:  2 year Associate in Applied Arts and Sciences Degree in Automotive Repair Technology

2002 toyota corolla: rattle..front left..awhile..highway

I have a rattle that is heard in the front left area of my car (2002 toyota corolla). was told it could be a tensioner pulley or belt tensioner problem. notice it after starting car and at slow speeds (forward or backward moving), but not after driving awhile or on highway at higher speeds. has gotten louder in the last week or so. Had the serp belt replaced a year ago and a 120K check up in May. What do you think the problem is, is it an urgent fix, and how much will it cost? Thank you.
Category: Car
Expert:  SNAPONTECH replied 2 years ago.

SNAPONTECH :

Welcome to Justanswer, My name isXXXXX am here to help.

SNAPONTECH :

Sounds like the idiler pulley and the belt tensioner very common to fail in 10 year periods

SNAPONTECH :

This should have been done when the belt was replaced

SNAPONTECH :

Some places dont

SNAPONTECH :

But its recommend at around 100k

Customer:

actually, the serp belt was replaced almost two years ago. don't know why they wouldn't have replaced the others at that time. I wonder if they would honor their work by making those replacements now. I do recall that they said they couldn't make that particular repair, either didn't have the tools/parts or maybe beyond their expertise. However, it's Firestone, and they directed me to go to a transmission shop.

SNAPONTECH :

wow seems interesting choice of shops to send you

SNAPONTECH :

They wont honor anything they are pretty bad at that

SNAPONTECH :

Just have any independant shop replace the idiler pulley and tensioner

SNAPONTECH :

Problem solved

SNAPONTECH :

Common thing should be changed every 100k

SNAPONTECH :

Let me know if you have any questions. If this was helpful please take a moment to kindly press the green ACCEPT button in the lower right hand corner. Thanks in advance Danny

Customer:

well, they knew the guy at the transmission shop. overall I've had good experiences with my repairs at Firestone. Have taken my car to them for four years, no problems. ok, looks like I'll have to find a local shop. just a few more questions: about how much is this repair, and is it urgent?

SNAPONTECH :

You should do it soon it can seize cause belt to slip and come off which is not cool

SNAPONTECH :

1 hour labor for both they price the tensioner at 176.99 thats mopar price

SNAPONTECH :

You can go with napa parts with a independant shop

Customer:

mopar price? what is that?

Customer:

"on par" price?

SNAPONTECH :

Sorry toyota price

SNAPONTECH :

The idiler pulley will run about 37 bucks

Customer:

ok, thanks.

SNAPONTECH :

Your very Welcome. Have a great holiday glad to help

SNAPONTECH, Technician
Experience: 2 year Associate in Applied Arts and Sciences Degree in Automotive Repair Technology