Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.
9795573

Daihatsu SIRION 1.3 sirion automatic transmission when changing

sirion automatic transmission when changing from 2-3 gear in drive position vichecile has a braking feeling before going to third gear and does not get over drive
Category: Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Hamman :

Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. At Just Answer the deposit you pay is not payment to the Expert, I only get paid if you click on accept, we receive no other pay. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed. If you are satisfied with the answer, and feel you can leave a positive feedback please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do.

The braking feeling happens when the gear box/transmission tries to engage into two gears at once. Because the transmission cant operate in two gears at once it binds, and it feels like the brakes have applied. This will totally destroy the transmission. Normally it happen when the transmission is trying to shift, and it is about to disengage from one gear, and it hesitates to disengage, but goes on and engages in the next gear, so there is an overlap where it is in two gears for a short period of time. Normally either some of the hydraulic, or electronic controls have problems, and this problem needs to be diagnosed, and corrected. It is possible that the problem is internally, and not in the controls, but it is much more likely to be a control issue. This is such a strange problem that you need to find someone how knows this type of transmission well, otherwise it will be VERY difficult for the problem to be found. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. Just Answer is here to serve you. If the answer is not clear, please let me know what additional help you need, and I will assist you further. When you're satisfied, click on the green accept button. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

Customer:

hi yes i am a tramission machanic have done a complete overhaul gasket seal kit and cluctches when reinstalled the problem was there then put it on the diagnostic tester and told me solonoid no 2 was faulty i changed it and still did the same and still gave the same fault checked wiring harness and did not fined a problem then installed a complete v body from another transmission and still have the same problem

Dr. Hamman :

With all you have done odds are the problem is in the wiring or the controller. I would ohm through all the wires from the controller to the auto gearbox to see if all the wires had continuity. If this auto gearbox had the same problem before you overhauled it the problem could be inside the transmission or the electronics/wires. But if the problem came up after you overhauled it, I would suspect a bad connection in the wiring. Get a wiring schematic for the vehicle and check the continuity of all the wires from the controller to the auto gearbox. Make sure the controller has power and a good ground. It is pretty rare but the gearbox might have porosity problems, where the metal is actually letting fluid pressure escape inside. This would be from a defective casting that blew out inside, and is not routing pressure to the clutch packs, and other parts, like it was designed to. Because the diagnostic tester and told you the solonoid no 2 was faulty, and it didnt stop the problem when you changed solonoid no 2, I bet the problem is in the wiring or the controller. Like I said get a wiring schematic for the vehicle and check the continuity of all the wires from the controller to the auto gearbox. Make sure the controller has power and a good ground. This is probably your best way to find the problem. Be sure to look for dirty or bad connections, they cause a lot of this type of problem. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer:

ok will try this as soon as im finish i will let you no thanks for the help so far i tend to agree with you have only test transmission harness not to the controller speak soon

Dr. Hamman :

Good luck with it these types of problems can be tough to find.

Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience: 30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.