Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

drove..dunes, hills..clutch pedal, rev the engine up a bit..2nd gear

In the 1960s, geologists in the Australian Government Bureau of Mineral Resources drove Series II Land Rovers all over the roadless N half of Australia, across country, dunes, hills, rocks, creeks, the lot. To change gear from 2nd to 1st we had to move the gear lever from 2nd to neutral, release the clutch pedal, rev the engine up a bit, depress the clutch pedal and move the gear lever from neutral to 1st. I understood this was because 'there was no synchromesh between 1st and 2nd gear'. Is this the correct thing to say?

Things were a little different going from 3rd to 2nd. Here, we moved the gear lever from 3rd to neutral, released the clutch pedal, then depressed the clutch pedal and simultaneously moved the gear lever from neutral to 2nd. No need to rev the engine for a moment when the gear lever was in neutral. So my question is, was this because there was no synchromesh between 2nd and 3rd? Or was there a sort of synchromesh between 2nd and 3rd?

Why did we have to rev up going from 2nd to 1st, but not when going from 3rd to 2nd?

My reason for asking is that I am writing a book about all those field experiences, and propose to say the following:

'The Landrovers had no synchromesh on 1st or 2nd gear, and springs whose weakness was legendary. Every field party carried a dozen spare springs as a matter of course, with two, one front and one rear, bolted to the front bumper of each rover. The unevenness of spinifex terrain is not met in Britain, where the Landrovers originated. By the end of the field season, every rover was tilted to one side or the other, depending on which of the surviving rear springs was closer to collapse.'

Is the first sentence correct? The difference in changing gear from 2nd to 1st compared to changing from 3rd to 2nd suggests that the words are not quite correct. Can you suggest the right wording?

Hope you can help.

Yours sincerely

Alastair Stewart
Geologist
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello

my understanding of classic LR boxes is that there's no synchromesh on 1st gear on going into 1st from neutral and down into 1st from 2nd means that there's no automatic method to match the gear speeds to the gearbox speed

hence having to rev it up on the down shift into 1st so you match engine speed to the incoming 1st gear speed and can then get it into mesh
You can get away with no throttle blip on the shift from 3rd to 2nd as the difference in speed isn't so great however by doing the double de-clutching ( gearshift into neutral between shifts) basically gives the gears time to slow down and match speeds

so what you've written seems fine
Matt, Engineer
Experience: Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.