George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist

2012 pilots: which oil to use.....i have been getting my oil changed

Customer Question

i have a 2011 honda really confused about which oil to use.....i have been getting my oil changed at the dealership....i was told the oil is partly synthetic there and, because it comes in bulk, you really dont know what you're, i asked that they use castrol for my oil is not an object....i just want to keep this vehicle for a very long time....however, i thought castrol was synthetic and the customer service woman told me that it now, i am confused....i understand that the 2012 pilots will use only question castrol all synthetic? the reason why i wanted to use it in the first place....if i use all synthetic is that okay? is mobil 1 better? thank you
Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Castrol like most oil manufacturers makes oil from conventional mineral based oils and synthetic base stocks and sometimes blends them.

If you want to run synthetic you can just read the label or notify the service writer that is what you want. The synthetic blends are good oils but they may only be 5% synthetic and the rest mineral based.

You can run conventional if you keep up the oil change interval, synthetic has little value unless you are pulling heavy loads or run in a hot climate for extended periods then it will hold its additive package better than conventional.

What you really want to see on the label is that is meets or exceeds the ILSAC-4 or GF-5 specification and is 5W-20 weight oil. Other than that you are free to use any brand you wish.

Let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you