Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
17454363

my 5.9 cummins now she wont start what do i check next

Customer Question

i had a contamination issue with my 5.9 cummins now she wont start what do i check next
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX you pulled codes from the computer yet?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no dont have the ability to do that. im getting fuel all the way up to the injectors if i play with it enough i can get it to start idles fine but mash the pedal and she chugs coughs and dies like she ran out of fuel
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.

You can pull the codes yourself, if you sit in the drivers seat and close the door, you must cycle the key on/off, 3 times, ending in the on position, the codes will appear in the odometer window, where the mileage is, can you do this?

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
gotcha brb
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.
let me know the codes,Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
cruise p 1693
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.
This code means there is another code stored in one of the other modules, and you cant retrieve these codes wiothout a scanner, but from what you have told me, you most likely have a bad injection pump, in this year, the only things that will cause a drivabilty concern is the lift pump or an injection pump, you need to check the fuel fressure coming out of the lift pump, it needs to be at least 10 psi, if its above 10 psi, then you have a bad injection pump, if its lower, then you need a lift pump,Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok gotcha i thought that might be the case so how do i check that pressure theres a valve stem on the fuel seperator can i use a regular tire guage there?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.
No, you need a fuel pressure gauge for this, do not use a tire pressure gauge, most parts houses have a fuel pressure gauge that they will loan you for a small deposit, Autozone does this,Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sweet well i'll look into all this thanx tim oddly enough we kinda look like brothers lol fyi my regular email address isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX I dont know if your in the orlando area but if you are shoot me a line monday night and i'll bring it yo you....if i havent fixed it
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.
I'm in Colorado, a little far to bring it here,LOL,Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
lol damn love it there too thank you i was thinking some stuff may have the injection pump clogged from the contaminated tank can i clean it out some how ? hey what do i clik to pay you for this? accept answer?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.
There is no way to clean it out, when contamination gets in it, it restricts the flow, this overheats the pump and damages the diaphrams and the circuit board, you will need a rebuilt one of its bad, and yes, if you push the accepy button, I will get paid, you can always come back to this question, even after you accept it,Tim
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience: 30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
gotcha i'll do that now dut what puzzled me was it sat overnight the next morning started right up drove perfect for 10 minutes and then same thing again thats whats weird
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
YOU WERE RIGHT MAN FOUND THE PUMP AND TRANSFER PUMP ON EBAY AS A KIT FOR $1100 SOOOOOOO THAT SUCKS!
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.
actually thats not bad, the lift pump is normally 350 dollars and the injection pump is about 1200,Tim