Superbob, Senior Master auto technician
Experience:  Ford Lincoln, Mercury, Seinor Master, diesel certified, mazda certified, ASE Master

bumper..15 minutes..sitting next to the exhaust the whole time.

i was waxing my car outside a little bit ago, and was waxing the bumper. i was sitting on the gorund for about 10-15 minutes when i noticed the car was running. i had been sitting next to the exhaust the whole time. Should I be worried about sitting so close to it for 15 minutes? Im scared now that i might have breathed in too much carbon monoxide
Category: Car
Expert:  Superbob replied 5 years ago.
If your car is newer than about 1994, and has not had an altered exhaust system, the most dangerous particles that exit the engine like oxides of nitrogen and carbon monoxide are altered inside the catalytic converter! You would need a concentrated amount of these types of fumes to become dangerous! If your car is older than 1994 and/or you feel abnormal in anyway you should consult your physician immediately!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
its about a 2001 or 2002 toyota fun cargo. Japanese version. I dont think i feel abnormal, its been aout 15 - 20 minutes now.
Expert:  Superbob replied 5 years ago.
You should be fine! monitor yourself for the next hour or so, I am not sure what the emission standards are for Japanese vehicles, however as they are grossly overpopulated, I would imagine the emissions standards are stronger than in the us!