Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

noise that sounded like power steering pump low on fluid..started car

Customer Question

there was a noise that sounded like power steering pump low on fluid. came home, went to go out again. started car and noise gone. was backing out and put foot on accelerator and car did not speed up. rolled out of drive to bottom. car would not backup. tried forward gear .nothing. car died. had to jump it to get going and get it out of street. what do you think is problem?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is Dan and I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks. It sounds like either alterantor belt has broke or the alternator has failed. You can remove alternator and have it tested at parts store for free.