George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist
13574682

replacing the hood hinges on my truck..windshield..engine compartment

Customer Question

general question --- I am replacing the hood hinges on my truck. The old hinges that I just pulled off have some kind of rubbery spongy type silicone or other glue between the hinge and the firewall. Is this to keep water from running down the windshield andinto the engine compartment? What do I need to buy to apply to the backs of the new hinges? Does it have to be that same spongy type sealer?
Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

This is "seam sealer" available in caulking tubes at autoparts and body supply stores.

You need something to keep the water out of the bolt hole where they will rust and seam sealer works well. YOu could use RTV but it does not clean up as nicely and if this is a resto project you want to get the sealer which can be used on body panels and may other places along the way.

Let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you