Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair

suzuki main breaker or fuse

I was taking off the alternator of a suzuki grand vitara 2006. I forgot to disconect the battery...sparks flew...now dead. Is there a breaker somewhere that saved my bacon or am I in big trouble now?
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.

Tracer :

Hello, I am Randall. I have reviewed your question and working on it now. Will return shortly

Tracer :

You have a small fuse box as part of the battery positive terminal. It houses the main fuse , a 120 amp fuse that is direct to protect starter and alternator. I suspect that fuse blew. Its in a box right at the battery near pos terminal

Customer:

I will look for that now.

Tracer :

I cant remember but.. may not look like a regular fuse. it may look more like a short piece of metal that burns in1/2

Customer:

i think i have found it

Customer:

not sure

Tracer :

ok, that would normally be what will blow. large amp, 120 amp link or fuse

Customer:

a cable from positive bat terminal is connected to i

Tracer :

yes, from what I see yes

Customer:

so now i have to identify the 120 am fuse...

Tracer :

It may not be a fuse like you think of. may be a weird looking metal strap i think with small bolt on each end

Customer:

looking

Customer:

crap this going to be the death of me. I took off a plastic cover and found a 1.5 inch piece of metal with a screw at each end

Tracer :

does it look melted or burnt

Customer:

no

Tracer :

you will not get shocked:)

Tracer :

then I cant say where problem lies. Do headlights come on? do you have a testlight or meter

Customer:

oh i disconnected my battery

Tracer :

You may have to find a pice of short wire and jump bolt to bolt to see if things come on.

Customer:

no lights no buzzers not a thing

Tracer :

have even used large pair of needle nose to do this

Tracer :

basically making the bridge for the fuse to see if in fact that link is bad

Customer:

needlenose did nothing

Tracer :

do you have a meter or testlight. what all is not working

Customer:

and i did reconnect battery to test.

Customer:

i dont have a tester and nothing seems to work...no key in ignition alarm no dome lights no dash lights nada

Tracer :

without tester makes this hard. here is the diagram showing top left the fuse at battery It is the main fuse for everything. It cant be another fuse or some things would work. You either in fact have a bad fuse link or dead battery or maybe bad terminal connections which you need to remove them, put on, twist them then tighten. The only way to lose all is that link is bad OR what I mentioned

Full Size Image

Customer:

well ok....I am not sure what i will do from here....this has been the alternator swap from hell. very long story. my shade tree days are coming to an end.

Tracer :

if you have w ay to go to local parts store or even a walmart and get cheap testlight, I can help narrow down 100%

Tracer :

I gave some expamples of things to check so be sure on the battery, terminals etc

Customer:

like one that has aligator clip on one end and sharp end on other with light in end. I may have one of those

Customer:

did i mention i loath electrical systems

Tracer :

yes, that type tester

Customer:

i will go check and see if it is in the tool box

Tracer :

k

Customer:

found one

Tracer :

ok, need to test it first. use the aligator end on the NEG post of battery, then probe on the POS post on battery. does it light?

Customer:

no light

Tracer :

do you have another car nearby? another battery somewhere to test. Right now? thinking dead battery from the short

Customer:

fixed it

Tracer :

what

Customer:

light workinfg on battery now

Tracer :

ok, can you get to back of alternator where the big wire hooks up? if so,, probe there

Customer:

there are two wires hooked up...one is screwd on one is plug...which one?

Tracer :

the large one screwed on

Customer:

do i hook the alligator to battery at pos or neg

Customer:

i am an idiot

Tracer :

it need to be on something metal or NEG post on battery. be sure connection good by going back to POS on battery for the light

Customer:

ok done...no light at alternator

Tracer :

Then back to battery area or link. Try probing BOTH bolt heads on that fuse link you found

Tracer :

its a direct wire from alternator the 120 amp fuse at battery

Customer:

nothing at either bolt....aligator still on NEG post

Tracer :

do you have digital camer that you can snap pic of the link then send to me using the paper clip icon you see

Customer:

I just found a fuse at the POS terminal attached to cable at the battery. it is dead right there

Tracer :

Thats the main fuse

Tracer :

sorry, just cant remember what each looks like not being there

Customer:

the batt cable goes two direction from POS terminal...the wire to this box on the side and then one to who knows where....

Tracer :

the other goes to starter. I realize you may not know wiring diagrams but its shown in first one I sent. you have a fuse problem near 99%

Customer:

sounds like i need to go shopping and since it is a Suzuki...i will not find anything except by ordering...most likely

Tracer :

You will be surprised. I have seen many high amp odd fuses at Autozone and Advance auto

Tracer :

its not just suzuki only

Customer:

welll you have been very very helpful....I will go back to Advance where they know i am an idiot.

Tracer :

LOL sorry to hear that. They love your type. Kidding. hope it goes ok for you. next time? unhook battery

Customer:

I know...I usually do...I was all in a hurry and didn't think....so much for in a hurry!!!! Phooey...what else is there to do on a 103 day in Austin.

Tracer :

well. could be worse, I lost everything in hurrican Ike on Crystal beach,TX and had to move to De. start all over:(

Tracer :

House is somewhere near Cancun I think

Tracer :

found my favorite jeep 3 miles from our house.

Customer:

I am sorry to hear that!!!!!!! Well I got the fuse off and am heading to Advance to be secretly mocked and ridiculed by car experts everywhere! Jeep doesn't look good....yikes.

Tracer :

no, its dead. wish it was simple fuse problem

Customer:

hahaha....i hope this all i have....this all started witha squeeky belt....changed the belts did not fix the problem. noticed the alternator pully was too hot to touch after 30 sec of rnning and thought must be going bad...new alternator still squeeks... so i was about to put the old one backon. and now i am fuse shopping.

Tracer :

one can always spray a light mist of lube like WD40 on the belt in various spots. If noise stops? its belt or belt adjust

Tracer :

Its very rare to work with customer with humor. usually they are blaming us, oh well

Customer:

I can

Tracer :

We work VERY hard to help our customers

Tracer :

ok, got to walk "munch" my german Shepherd puppy. Cork in his butt. It should go ok from here for you

Customer:

I can do nothing but laugh at myself ask experts sooner and thank the Lord that I am only dealing with dumb rookie mistake car repairs...there is more to life than getting pissed. Ok i will hit that green accept button and go shopping! have fun walking the dog...did you get rain from the hurricane in DE...Delaware? surely you did

Tracer :

14". that really sucked all over again. bad memories

Tracer :

Moving to Co next hurricane near me

Customer:

did you know a new alternator for this grand vitara is 800 big ones...$300 for the rebuilt...I am astonished....tensior is 180

Customer:

CO has deep snow and cold...move to Austin all we get is heat heat heat

Tracer :

OUCH!!! they get you coming and going. $300 not bad but average is $150 +/ on most remans for most cars

Customer:

my old 1990 gmc truck is the way to go...much cheeper to work on!

Customer:

thank you for you help good day and God bless you.

Tracer :

yuppers. I just bought a new Nissan Triton PU. cant wait to buy parts for it

Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair