Dale Stockstill
Dale Stockstill, Automotive Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  40 years of Automotive Technical Knowledge, Teacher, Diagnostic Specialist

I have 2005 Land Rover LR3 HSE V8 4.4ltr..compressor..freon

Customer Question

I have 2005 Land Rover LR3 HSE V8 4.4ltr. I just replaced the a/c compressor and it needs freon. Can you please tell me how much the freon will cost me? Apart from the dealership, where else can I tak it to that they can put the freon for me?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dale Stockstill replied 2 years ago.

My name is Dale.

First of all you can pick up 12 ounce cans of R 134A Refrigerant at any auto parts store or even Walmart's automotive section. Any good independent shop will shoot it in for you. I am guessing but I think a can of the refrigerant probably run $ 5.00-6.00 so it is really not that expensive.

I am more concerned with why the system needs more refrigerant when it has just had a new compressor installed? Did the shop not fill the system properly or? Are you sure it does not have a leak. Is it doing what we call short cycling, ( the compressor kicking in and out constantly)? That is a sign of low refrigerant but why is it doing that when the system was just repaired?

Anyway, I have answered you question. If you are mechanically inclined you can pick up a do it yourself kit from the same places I told you about and give the system freon yourself. the kits are fairly cheap, like maybe $ 25.00- $30.00 and that usually includes at least 1 can of freon. But it does take someone that can read the directions and carefully perform the task.

I hope this helps you decide what to do and which way you want to go.

Have a Blessed & Productive Day !

Sincerely,

Dale

PS- Don't forget to "Accept", I won't get paid unless you do. BUT...please don't "Accept" unless you're 100% satisfied with my answer! 100% Positive Feedback given and received is my goal! IF YOU'RE NOT SURE ASK

Experience: 40 years of Automotive Technical Knowledge, Teacher, Diagnostic Specialist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
While waiting for the answer, I went by a mechanic workshop. He said he would have
To vacuum the compressor or the ac system, fill it with freon, put some devices it that
Will tell them if it is leaking or not. This will cost$125.00. Is this too.high, and can I find
It cheaper?

To answer your question, the shop that puts in the new compressor does not have the
Machine to put freon because it's Land Rover.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was.just told that the new compressor will not turn inside after
Putting freon in it. What could be the problem now? O am so frustrated!

Thank You for the reply.

If it has not ever had freon put into the system since the compressor replacement the other shop is probably a bit high but he is trying to cover his over head to stay in business. It definitely need to be evacuated for at least an hour and two or three hours is better. I do approve of putting a leak detector (Dye) in the system first before filling with freon just as a safety measure. So if you have the equipment, knowledge and time to do the work you could probably do it for $ 40.00 but considering that this is his business and he must make a profit somewhere to stay in business, so he is there the next time you need a tecnician then I think he is being reasonably fair. The way he is approaching the service is right on the button (In the fair and honest way)

Hope this helps you decide which way to go. NOTE DO NOT LET ANYONE TALK YOU INTO SHOOTIMG THE SYSTEM WITHOUT EVACUATING IT. IT WILL COST YOU BIG TIME IN THE FUTURE.

Sincerely,

Dale

PS- Please Don't forget to "Accept", I won't get paid unless you do. BUT...please don't "Accept" unless you're 100% satisfied with my answer! 100% Positive Feedback given and received is my goal! IF YOU'RE NOT SURE ASK

You will ahve to find out if the cutch has power to it and if the clutch is engaging the compressor. Was this a used compressor?

Dale

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, this is a new compressor

Then either the shop you have it in right now is not telling you the truth or does not know what they are doing "OR" the people that installed the new compressor messed it up during installation. I would be talking with the first folks about standing behind and warranty the NEW Compressor or I would let them know that you plan to be talking to the BBB.

It really sounds like the round around between two shops to me. I cannot (for the life of me) figure out why you would take your vehicle to a shop that does not even have the equipment to charge an air conditioner. THERE IS SOMETHING NOT RIGHT THERE.

Thanks for accepting my answer. Please let me know how things turn out but in any case DO NOT LET EITHER SHOP TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOU!

If you would like to contact me directly in the future, just go to: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=19741685&FID=0 You can save this address or bookmark it into you computer for future reference. Please use my name "Dale" in the question line so the question will come directly to me.

Sincerely,

Dale