Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

2003 Suzuki Grand vitara: smog check..obd it about 2,000 miles

Customer Question

My 2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara XL7 failed smog check due to failure of OBD II monitors. I have run it about 2,000 miles they still do not work. Please let me know how to fix them.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.

OBD 2 monitoring is largely how the catalyst is performing so I'd check the condition of the oxygen sensor after the catalyst, unplug it and check the connections for dirt or damage and the sensor may need replacing. However the quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

You can do a very rough and ready check yourself by unplugging sensors one at a time and seeing if any of them change the driving condition which would indicate the most recently unplugged sensor is the faulty one. This method is not foolproof though and reading a fault code off is the better method.

the other possibility is that the catalyst is damaged and may need replacing but its worth trying some of this 1st
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Engineer 350Matt advised me to check the oxygen sensor for the failure of smog check of my 2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara XL7. On 09-22-11 the Technician reprogrammed the computer of the car and it passed so Matt's advice is incorrect.

Already Tried:
Engineer 350Matt advised me on 09-03-11. The Technician of 76 gas station on 19th avenue in San Francisco reprogrammed the computer of the car and it passed the smog check.

Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you press accept at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please press accept.
If you don't press accept then you can use the cash at a later date to ask another question.