Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Herman Miller Fiberglass Shell Chair Looking for someone who

Looking for someone who might able to help me determine which (if any) product to use on 1960's Fiberglass chair shells to remove the remnants of, and residue from the adhered foam layer underneath the original upholstery.

Basically, if you look at the photo, I would ideally like to strip the upholstery from the shell and use it it as a fiberglass shell chair (no upholstery) and am looking for advice. Totally do-able? Not a good idea?

I couldn't find a furniture expert and I know auto mechanics work with fiberglass (right...?), so I figure it's worth a shot!
Hello and thank you for using justanswer.

This is do-able. Remove as much of the foam as you can by hand. The residue from the adhesive will have to be removed chemically. Start with wax and grease remover, this is the least likely to damage the fiberglass gel coat. You can get this at auto paint supply store. If this will not remove the residue, then use something a bit stronger, like laquer thinner or acetone, both of which can be purchased at most auto parts stores or even walmart.