Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician. 30+ years in the car repair business.
10906483

5 speed trans hard to shift and scratches reverse bad.

5 speed trans hard to shift and scratches reverse bad.81 toyota pick up 2w/d
Category: Car
Expert:  Dj replied 5 years ago.

Dj :

Hello and thank you for trusting Just Answer with your question. I'm Dj and I will work with you on this.

Dj :

I need a litte more information on this. Have you replaced the master cylinder and slave cylinder?

Dj :

So everything works fine when you bleed the clutch, but after 10 minutes, it starts to grind. Then you have to bleed it again and it works?

Dj :

Is that correct?

Dj :

Dj

Customer:

ihave been rebleeding after the problem starts,i have even changed the masrer cyl for the second time.drive 8-10 miles and same problem.

Customer:

I have replaced the master cylinder twice now. thought we might have recieved a bad part that was taking in air. the slave has also been replaced as well as the rubber line. have also made adjustments to the pedal travel under the dash. we bleed it and the truck will shift into gears properly at first. after test driving the vehicle 5 to 10 miles it becomes harder to get in gear. Reverse growls the most, and the last time it was driven it would barely go into reverse at all. the problem seems to start after the truck has warmed up and the transmission worked.

Customer:

Clutch master cylinder has been replaced twice. we thought we may have recieved a bad part and it could have been taking on air. the slave cylinder has been replaced and the rubber line also. We have bled the system several times and can get the truck shifting properly. After driving 5-10 miles and working it a while it becomes harder to get into gears. Reverse growls the most and last time could barely get into it at all.

Dj :

When you bleed the system, does air come out?

Dj :

And after you have been driving, does the clutch pedal feel normal, with a normal about of resistance, or does it feel like mush.

Customer:

the last time we bled it, we stopped after all air was purged. only getting fluid. pedal feels good, plenty of resistance.

Dj :

Then the problem is in the clutch or the pilot bearing.

Dj :

And out of the two, I would expect it to be the pilot bearing. This is the small bearing that sits in the back of the crank shaft. The input shaft for the transmission sits inside the bearing.

Dj :

The bearing isn't spinning freely, so it turns the input shaft and that's why it shifts hard.

Dj :

But as long as you are in there, you should replace the clutch.

Customer:

okay thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've pulled the transmission and the pilot bearing was worn out and falling apart. I replaced the pilot bearing but reinstalled the same clutch. tt still had plenty of life and looked good. Once again I bled the system and test drove the truck. It shifts freely while cold and then after driving 7-10 miles it started the same problem. Forward gears get a little stiff and reverse is very difficult to shift in to, and grinds a lot. Still thinking there could be air in the system I bled the system again, and got the same results. After snapping the transmission in to reverse the truck pulls a little even with the clutch engaged. The only difference this time was after getting the truck warmed up and experiencing the problem, there was one instance where I shifted in to reverse like normal. But after shifting out and immediately trying to return to reverse the difficulty returned.
Expert:  Dj replied 5 years ago.

With the engine cold, measure the movement of the slave cylinder when you push the clutch pedal to the floor.

Then when it's warm and dragging, measure the travel of the slave cylinder again. If there is a difference in the amount of travel, the problem is the clutch master cylinder or the slave cylinder.

If the travel is the same, the problem is the clutch.

Dj

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The clutch solved it, thanks Dj.