Don Knight
Don Knight, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  40 Years reparing all types of vechiles

1999 chevy: hd k2500 crew cab 4x4..lights stay..brake pedal..bulbs

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 1999 chevy hd k2500 crew cab 4x4. Brake lights work fine when the ignition switch I off however, if the turn the ignition switch to the run position the brake lights stay on but will turn off as soon as I step on the brake pedal, kinda working in the opposite manner. I replaced brake switch, replace all the bulbs and nothin is working. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Category: Car
Expert:  Don Knight replied 5 years ago.

Donald Knight :

I am looking at the wiring diagram for your truck and the first thing I would like you to do is to swap the stoplamp relay in the under the hood fuse block with some other relay and see if that corrects your problem.Please let me know what happens,Don

Donald Knight :

If the relay does'nt correct the problem try replacing the turn/hazzard flasher.This has power all the time from the brake switch and then gets power from the turn fuse with the key on.

JACUSTOMER-cawfp0ig- : Is that at the fuse box under the dash.
JACUSTOMER-cawfp0ig- : Sorry, I meant to say, is the hazard flasher at the fuse box under the dash that I should replace,is it a switch or relay i looking for?Oh, and I did swap out the stoplamp relay with another and got the same results. Thanks again.
Donald Knight :

Try unpluging the directional switch on the steering column and see if that corrects the problem and if so you will need to replace the directional switch,Don