nabilc
nabilc,
Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic
30385560

According: Intermittent..05 Astra, fault codes P1616 & P1614..vauxhall

Customer Question

Intermittent non starting with 05 Astra, fault codes P1616 & P1614, Sim Software is up to date with according to vauxhall, any ideas
Category: Car
Expert:  nabilc replied 5 years ago.

Billy :

Hello and thank you for using Just answer! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if you need any further info.

Billy :

Having these fault codes (1614: immobilizer, and 1616: engien control unit).......

Billy :

I would proceed as following:

Billy :

First check the wiring at junction box, make sure the wires are good......no corrosion, no water ingress:

Billy :

Remove the junction box cover (numbered 1) and check the wiring and connectors thoroughly........fix as necessary, and apply some grease slightly at connector to protect from humidity.

Billy :

If this is ok, and does not sort the problem.....i would next check the power supply at the engine control unit and at the steering control module (with immobilizer)...........good power supply, good ground, and good tight, and clean connectors.

Billy :

If this still does not sort the issue, then you need to replace the engine control unit........but i think that the wiring (supply or ground) is most likely in your case, given the codes, and the intermittence of the problem......

Billy :

Thank you for trusting JA and myself.......get back to me if further info is needed.....positive feedback and bonuses appreciated...

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/

Customer :

Fault is actually a case of turning the key and ithe engine doesn't even turn over, I can remove key and then retry and it will fire up!

Billy :

Yes......that is caused by either faulty wiring (from immobilizer or ECU.....well the junction box or connectors)......or control unit (steering containing immobilizer or ECU).....

Billy :

Anyway, you need to check as advised earlier to get to the culprit and fix/replace as necessary....

Billy :

Regards,

Billy :

Billy