nabilc
nabilc,
Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic
30385560

Does driving with flat tyres endanger the clutch

does driving with flat tyres endanger the clutch

Billy :

Hello and thank you for using Just answer! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if you need any further info.

Billy :

Driving with flat tires, would cause damage to the tires and to the wheels.........as contacting the ground, would damage the wheels.

Billy :

If driving with flats, you will also cause more stress on the suspension....as the tire usually absorbs lots of the vibration and shocks.....

Billy :

However, the clutch should not be affected......

Billy :

You might take longer to accelerate, and use a slightly bit more clutch.....but that would never be considered as damage.

Billy :

Thank you for trusting JA and myself.......get back to me if further info is needed.....positive feedback and bonuses appreciated...

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/

Billy :

PS: get back to me if further info is needed..............

Billy :

Regards,

Billy :

Billy

Customer:

The clutch on my car has burned out, and the agent asserts that driving on flat tyres - about 400metres - was the cause

Customer:

your comments so far endorse my feeling that there could have been a mechanical fault that caused the clutch to burn out

Billy :

do you have the automatic clutch....or do you have a clutch pedal?

Customer:

A clutch pedal

Billy :

ok.......were you pressing on the clutch pedal the whole time????

Customer:

I cannot really remember that

Billy :

well......you should.....it is how you drive......would press on the clutch all the time while driving?

Billy :

and how many flat tyres did you have?

Customer:

two flat tyres

Billy :

the 400 meters.....did you ride the clutch the whole time....and was it uphill or downhill?

Customer:

I do not press the clutch pedal all the time while driving. The 400 metres is on the flat and I really cannot remember whether or not I pressed the clutch pedal the whole time. Is this important?

Billy :

actually yes.....i mean...why would you press the clutch the whole time.....and more importantly, how much time did the 400 meters take?

Customer:

Of course I did NOT press the clutch pedal all the time. I was aiming to drive 400 metres, but the car stopped after about 50 metres.

Billy :

ok......how much did the 50 meters take (and i presume car stopped due to worn clutch)....

Billy :

how much time that is

Billy :

are you there?

Customer:

sixty seconds driving slowly

Billy :

sixty seconds slowly on flat road.......distance around 50 meters.....does that sound about right?

Customer:

I reckon so - was heading to nearest garage, 400 metres away, eventually towed

Billy :

ok.......you can go and tell the agent, that the clutch is not worn because of flat tyres.........and if they do not confirm that........ask them how a clutch can be burned in 60 seconds (no matter what you do).....

Billy :

You may tell them to show you a demonstration on how to burn a clutch in 60 seconds......this is impossible.....unless the clutch was already worn.....and this was the straw that broke the camel's back.......

Customer:

many thanks as car under warranty and Citroen do not indicate in handbook that car should not be driven with flat tyre. Hence refuse to recompense, insurer's expert advice agrees with you and I must now proceed along legal path. May I print this and quote you?

Billy :

yes of course......

Customer:

Many thanks again. Paying and accepting!

Billy :