nabilc
nabilc,
Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic
30385560

Leads..drained..it he said it drove ok but left a trail of smoke

I have a 2004 Terios the problem is i got no spark i have tested that they have power going to the leads .I just purchased the car of a mate and tells me it was going when he last tried to start it . The problem he had was that it was over filled with oil and he drove it for about 5km before he stopped he drained the oil and put the correct amount back in it he said it drove ok but left a trail of smoke .Can the crankshaft poistion sensor stop the car from starting if it is bugged.
Category: Car
Expert:  nabilc replied 5 years ago.

Billy :

Hello and thank you for using Just answer! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if you need any further info.

Billy :

On your model, you have a camshaft position sensor.

Billy :

And yes, if faulty, or not reading on its trigger wheel, this would cause lack of spark.

Billy :

However, first you need to check if the injectors (fuel injectors) are getting pulse.........or signal or power from ECU.....so they open and spray fuel.

Billy :

And then, i would check for any loose wires in engine bay.....just make sure all connectors are clean and tight.....

Billy :

Having done these, and if the problem persists.....the best way to tackle this, would be hooking a scan tool, and reading or monitoring the live data, to figure out, which component(s) is causing this......

Billy :

You need to check for ECU power supply, and camshaft signal.....this would take a minute on a scan tool.....while trying to start.......and then you fix/replace accordingly.

Customer:

i have tested that power is coming from the ECU by unclipping the connector to the coil

Billy :

ok......and you have spark?

Customer:

no

Billy :

the most likely reason woudl be the camshaft position sensor.....

Billy :

However, the real problem might be from the trigger wheel (the toothed gear, on which the cam sensor reads speed)....

Billy :

As the oil might have caused damage to these..........

Customer:

is there any i can take it of and get tested

Billy :

So remove the cam sensor, inspect the gears.....(the trigger wheel), and take it from there......

Billy :

you can first measure its internal resistance (so plug removed).....and at sensor, you should get around 380 to 460 ohms

Customer:

ok i will give it a shot thanks

Billy :

Next steps (test) will include either a scan tool, or a oscilloscope to read the signal

Billy :

You're most welcome!!!

Billy :

Thank you for trusting JA and myself.......get back to me if further info is needed.....positive feedback and bonuses appreciated...

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/