Dale Stockstill
Dale Stockstill, Automotive Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  40 years of Automotive Technical Knowledge, Teacher, Diagnostic Specialist
19741685

SE..same issue..Land Rover couldnt find anything wrong

Customer Question

I bought a 2006 LR3 SE from my brother in law, he just replaced the battery about 3 weeks ago and had a Land Rover dealer try to determine why the other battery had died, well they didn't find anything. Tonight the vehicle had difficulty starting and after the 6th time it turned over. My brother in law had the same issue with the vehicle and Land Rover couldn't find anything wrong. Tonight four different lights came on. The Letter "F" by the speedometer, Under the Tachometer a vehicle with a half circle around it with an exclaimation mark and next to that was a triangle with an exclaimation mark and a half circle around that, also the brake light under the temperature gauge was on. Just curious as to what this could be.
Category: Car
Expert:  Dale Stockstill replied 3 years ago.

My name is Dale.

It sounds to me like there is a constant drain on the battery or the charging system is not functioning properly. To test for a drain, take a 12 volt test light and hook it between the Negative ( - ) Batery post and the Negative cable. If the light is real bright then there is a constant drain on the system A extremely dull glow is normal because of the computers residuale (Milli-Amp) drain. But a bright light means either there is something on, ( like a glove box interior lamp, a lamp in the rear compartment or dome lamp left on, etc.) If you find the bright light, start removing fuses (One at a time) until the light goes out and then you will have to trace down whatever is on that circuit. It is possible that a module (vehicle these days have lots of modlues) is malfunctioning and creating a drain. If you can jump the vehicle off to get it started and run it for say 30 minutes and then it starts OK then chances are (without running the alternator/regulator test) chances are that the alternator is good and you just have a drain that needs to be isolated.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you resolve the issue.

Have a Blesssed & Productive Day !

Sincerely,

Dale

PS- Don't forget to "Accept", I won't get paid unless you do. BUT...please don't "Accept" unless you're 100% satisfied with my answer! 100% Positive Feedback given and received is my goal! IF YOU'RE NOT SURE ASK

Did you receive my message about the problem with your vehicle?

Sincerely,

Dale

Hello ?

Dale

Did you receive the information?

Dale